Running wires between headliner and Outer Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2009
Morgan Classic 41 Clarenville, Newfoundland
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience in running wires between Headliner and Outer Deck. We find not enough light over galley table, and would like to put a nice fixture overtop. But I would like to run a wire from over Starboard side near stove and cut hole for wire to exit near mast. Anyone done this..... Jerry Belbin

Jun 4, 2009
Ocean Yachts Islands 20 Paradise Cove
Having rewired my boat, I can tell you that it is not easy but can be done. The main item you have to discover is how much space is between the headliner and outer deck. Since you don't have a conduit you will need a very stiff wire like an electricians pull tape. Getting that pull tape between the headliner and outer deck will require about an inch of space. In my case the space between the headliner and the outer deck was about one quarter inch and I had to drill a one inch hole with a hole cutter to get the pull tape inside. The second item to remember is that since you do not have a conduit you will not be able to turn corners without making a hole at the corner. You can take care of these holes by patching the fiberglass or putting in plastic plugs.

Plan B is to go to Lowe's and look at their Cordmate-TM- plastic surface conduit. It sticks to the headliner, doesn't look too bad, and is much easier than drilling big holes everywhere.

Hope this helps
Ray

Apr 5, 2009
Morgan Classic 41 Clarenville, Newfoundland
Cordmate conduit option Possible.

Hello Ray;

Thanks for your advise. I will certainly keep this option in mind. Although, if possible, would still like to wire without cordmate conduit. I will cut very small access hole to start with and if mine is same as yours, with only 1/4" room will look into the cordmate. Maybe I can look at LED fixture with batteries. Thanks, Jerry

Having rewired my boat, I can tell you that it is not easy but can be done. The main item you have to discover is how much space is between the headliner and outer deck. Since you don't have a conduit you will need a very stiff wire like an electricians pull tape. Getting that pull tape between the headliner and outer deck will require about an inch of space. In my case the space between the headliner and the outer deck was about one quarter inch and I had to drill a one inch hole with a hole cutter to get the pull tape inside. The second item to remember is that since you do not have a conduit you will not be able to turn corners without making a hole at the corner. You can take care of these holes by patching the fiberglass or putting in plastic plugs.

Plan B is to go to Lowe's and look at their Cordmate-TM- plastic surface conduit. It sticks to the headliner, doesn't look too bad, and is much easier than drilling big holes everywhere.

Hope this helps
Ray

Aug 7, 2007
Morgan 44 Center Cockpit Old Lyme
Jerry, two other options assuming a keel stepped mast - We keep a small stock of disposable self adhesive battery powered LED lights that you can get from any DIY store and stick them where we need light, maybe to your mast at head hight above the table? Alternatively don't come through the head-liner, run a cable up your mast and fix a lamp (removable when pulling the mast) to the mast above the table. This won't weaken the mast and will be easier to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.