Running rigging

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
On my new boat the description says that the halyards are low stretch and all of the sheets/control lines are Dacron. From what I read, it should all be replaced.

What type of line is everyone using for all of the different lines? Halyards, vang, back stay adjuster, sheets for genoa and spinnaker, traveler, etc.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@letlmt ,
Good afternoon! For the first part of my sailing experience, I was taught that "anything goes as long as it fits". If you're not worried about rigging your boat for optimum performance, then don't worry too much about the type of line you're using for the running rigging. As long as it is safe, clean, and in good condition, things should work out just fine. Avoid using lines that are made with cotton products.
If you are racing:
- the halyards should be Dyneema. As one of the latest developments in the world of rope, Dyneema is immensely strong and has very little stretch. It works well as a halyard because a Dyneema line that is 1/4 inch thick can support far more than the weight of the mains'l and the forces acted upon it.
- For the sheets, I recommend using a line that isn't prone to kinking and bad memory: Double Braided Polyester line with a Dyneema core. The Polyester on the outside of the line makes it easy to handle, and grips well in the palms of your hands or gloves. Dyneema itself can be difficult to get a hold of, especially when wet, so the outer sleeve is pertinent to providing proper grip. The Dyneema core prevents the line from stretching and kinking.

Dacron works well pretty much anywhere on a boat; it looks good, is easy to handle, and has decent characteristics. The downside to upgrading to such standards is the cost; Dacron and Dyneema are expensive, and it can be difficult to find the right size.
I hope this helps!

God Bless,
S.S.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Simon
Thank you for your response. I am surprised that you are the only response, I thought I would get a lot of input on this one with people either suggesting different types of line or saying to just keep what is there.

I have read about Dyneema and with a polyester covering it would not be susceptible to UV light either. I like that idea.

Do your halyards also have the polyester covering? You only talk about the covering in relation to your sheets.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
For the average cruising boat, I fit my running rigging with whatever double braid I can get a good deal on. Sampson is my favorite name brand. New England Ropes is another good one. There are some generics. All the ones I have worked with are pretty darn good. I am fortunate to have a local shop that sells me double braid at about 1/5 the price that Worst Price Marine sells it for. There are a number of on-line suppliers that sell it cheap by the spool, but for rigging a single boat, a full spool of one color is not going to be what you want.

Strand oriented UHMWPE lines, like Dyneema, Spectra, etc, have excellent strength per size & weight, but they are kind of slippery, so you need to tie them off a little differently. Special knots & splices exist for use with these expensive specialty lines. I only use that stuff on serious high end race boats. If the hull isn't made out of carbon fiber, I'm probably not going to be reaching for very much Spectra. That stuff can be a little dangerous too. I have seen it cut through a gunwale after jumping out of a snatch block while being fed out quickly.

Halyards need to be strong enough & they need to fit. Low stretch is nice. Sheets should really be be comfortable on the hands. Here you might want to choose the diameter, for handling ability, more than for strength rating. In many cases, a 1/4" jib sheet would be strong enough, but I will still want 3/8" line, so that my hands don't feel the bite as much. Slick handling lines are not good for sheets either. I avoid Spectra for sheets, unless we are talking about something in the TP class or above.

Stretchy lines, like 3-strand, are mostly used for anchor lines & not for running rigging, although, on older, low performance boats, it sometimes gets used there too.

For a Capri 22, I'd shop around for some cheap double braid that feels good on the hands. End of story.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to JiminPB's last line. You have a 22-foot boat, not a mega-racer, so I would suggest skipping the high-cost/newest tech lines. My B323 has had the same lines for 12 years. I turn them end-for-end and wash them in the process. You would probably remove yours over the off-season, so last longer? Maybe.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
New England Ropes Sta Set X is a good compromise for strength, low stretch and easy on the hands. Dymeena is tough, expensive and course on the hands to handle, but very strong and very low stretch, usually used for halyards, Sta Set or Sta Set X for sheets. Be aware of your sheave sizes, don't purchase line bigger than the sheave as it will bind and not work smoothly as it should.

Feb 16, 2017
New England Ropes Sta Set X is a good compromise for strength, low stretch and easy on the hands. Dymeena is tough, expensive and course on the hands to handle, but very strong and very low stretch, usually used for halyards, Sta Set or Sta Set X for sheets. Be aware of your sheave sizes, don't purchase line bigger than the sheave as it will bind and not work smoothly as it should.
Have you ever tried to coil a piece of Sta-Set X after it's been loaded?
To me, it's like coiling a cowboy's rope. Back in the day, we used to take bets how far you could hold out Sta-Set and stay straight before it bends. Sta-Set sucks...