Running rigging replacement

May 18, 2021
Hunter 240 Charleston, SC
Hi folks! I got a 2000 Hunter 240 and all of the sheets and lines need to be replaced. The boat had sat for more than 5 years and the lines are rotten. That said, I need to find the best source for line/sheet length and diameter so I can purchase new ones. After getting them, I'll need to know where to find directions on replacing them. I'm ready for the work. Point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
-Adam

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest removing each line, measure its diameter with a caliper and length with a tape measure and take it to my local chandlery rigger (in my case West Marine in Alameda, CA) to discuss my sailing conditions and application and have them recommend line type and splice the eye splices and whip the ends. That is what I do since I like the interaction with the rigger. As far as where to buy you can either provide your local OR on-line(like SBO) marine chandlery with the running rigging list from your manual.

Your manual page 46A-1 shows running rigging type, diameter and length: Z:\DWG\H240\DRAWINGS\8OWN_MAN\2408017C (sailboatowners.com)
Another reference for line diameter recommendation in this link: Rope Selection Recommendations.pdf (sailrite.com)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest removing each line...................
Before you remove any line going through the mast or boom suggest attaching (sew, hook and/or tape) a tag (some call it messenger) line then pull it through and remove it from the tag line. Also, suggest taking a photo showing how the lines are rigged, especially if routed through a fiddle block like on a boom vang, before you remove each line. That will help the installation. When you re-install the new lines going though the mast or boom attach it to your tag line and pull it through then remove the tag line.

Last edited: