Running Rigging questions

May 21, 2020
Catalina 22 856 Utah Lake
Good afternoon,

As my adventures with my new boat continue I keep coming up with questions, and I figured I've ventured far astray from my first post, so I'm making a new one. This one is concerning the running rigging on Serenity. When purchased it was presented as a spinnaker ready boat(indeed, I think I have at least 1, maybe 2 spinnaker sails in bags). However, my inexperienced eye doesn't see things I think are needed.
This modification on the bow was presented as part of the spinnaker setup, but now that I've done more research I question that. But now I have no idea what it /would/ be for.
IMG_0951.JPEG

I believe these rails on each side are genoa rails(not sure what to do with them, but I imagine some googling will set me straight there if that is indeed what they are). I believe I'm running my headsail sheets through those blocks, back to the winches, and into the cleats on the port and starboard thwarts...
IMG_0949.JPEGIMG_0950.JPEG

Why are there four cleats(is that the correct term?) at the stern next to the main sheet... Thing. I've seen the name, but some quick googling isn't bringing it back to my mind. Two of the cleats are to adjust the main sheet attachment when you're close hauling(I think), but what are the other two for? There are also two blocks, one on each end of the stern that I have no idea what is used for...
IMG_0948.JPEGIMG_0952.JPEG

I also don't appear to have a spinnaker pole. Not the end of the world, as after a bit of reading, spinnakers kinda scare me... LOL. Regardless, I look forward to your responses.

Philip

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
Here are my $0.02:
The modification on the bow looks like a mount for a bowsprit (for probably attaching the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker to).
You are correct about the genoa cars and their use.
The cam cleats on the vertical inside of the transom are likely for your traveler lines (controls position of main sheet)...
The cam cleats on the top of the transom are likely for spinnaker sheets/guy that are fed through the blocks on the aft most corners.
It also looks like you have a cheek block aft of the winches and they may also be used for a spinnaker sheets (through block and back to winch?).
If you do have asymmetrical spinnaker(s) then you wouldn't need a spin pole.
Take all of the above with the understanding that I do not fly an asymmetrical and have a limited degree of expertise, but ti will go out on a limb here. Lets see what others have to say.
Enjoy your new boat and stay safe.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I suspect you have asymmetric spinnakers, which have a long side connected to the bow, no pole needed as you jibe it the same way you would the genoa except the sheets are outside everything. symmetric spinnakers need a pole to hold the leading edge of the spinnaker. this thing needs a pole topping lift, downhaul etc more complex. The sheets are run to the blocks at the stern of the boat and lead up to the winches from there.

the two cleat on the inside vertical are the traveller cleat to move the traveller car (thing the mail sheet block is hooked to) typically to start just keep that bugger centered. You let it down on very breezy days to open the main while close hauled, or bring it up to bring the main as close to centerline as possible on lighter air days ( both are upwind sailing trims)

as for the extra gear mounted, only God and the PO know what they were thinking with stuff, the cleats on top could be for a tiller tamer,..... or not, the turning blocks could be too route the genoa sheets to the high side winch while single handing... or not. typically as you sail you will go " man it would be nice if I could....." and a custom piece of gear gets installed to answer a specific need.

May 21, 2020
Catalina 22 856 Utah Lake
How long would the bowsprit need to be to attach the asymmetrical spinnaker? I've done some googling and it looks like most boats just attach at the bow... @D Swanson I think the cheek block is actually a loose block that I had just set on the side to get it out of the way as I was cleaning... *facedesk* So sounds like most of what I didn't know what it was is indeed for spinnakers, just asymmetrical instead of symmetrical... Thanks guys. Now I just need my motor parts to show up so I can get out and see if I can figure out how to catch wind.... ;-)

Philip

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I think ... the bowsprit just places the spin further forward, which is a good thing. I think.

But don't take my word for it. I have never owned a spinnaker, 'cuz I'm too cheap to buy one brand new, and they are bloody scarce used. :(

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
How long would the bowsprit need to be to attach the asymmetrical spinnaker? I've done some googling and it looks like most boats just attach at the bow... @D Swanson I think the cheek block is actually a loose block that I had just set on the side to get it out of the way as I was cleaning... *facedesk* So sounds like most of what I didn't know what it was is indeed for spinnakers, just asymmetrical instead of symmetrical... Thanks guys. Now I just need my motor parts to show up so I can get out and see if I can figure out how to catch wind.... ;-)

Philip
You need to get it far enough forward to clear the bow pulpit (without risk of snagging the spinnaker or rigging on the pulpit or anything you have attached there. For my furling code zero (similar to a close-cut asymmetric spinnaker), I decided I wanted 5 inches of clearance - perhaps a standard asym wouldn't need quite that much if you're not furling. See that link and the subsequent posts for a little more detail on my project. If you're lucky, @DrJudyB might chime in with advice from a long-time sailmaker (or just search for her previous posts on asymmetrics and code zeros - she's given lots of helpful details elsewhere.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Monroe
Flipwalker we are at the same place at the same time. Well at least you know what some of this stuff is. Good luck!