Running Rigging Color Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick

The running rigging on our boat requires updating due to wear, age, and the elements. Since we race with occasional pick up crew, we are interested if standard colors exist for the various lines. We were planning on going with StaySet X for the halyards and StaySet for the balance. Included lines include: Main Halyard Genoa Halyard Spinnaker Halyards(Port & Starboard) - StaySet X Red & Green Spinnaker pole topping lift Spinnaker pole downhaul Baby Stay Control line Traveller Main Sheet Genoa Sheet - StaySet white w/ red tracers Spinnaker Sheet - StaySet white w/ green tracers Lazy Guys - StaySet white Any suggested color coding?

Jun 7, 2004
Coronado 35 Lake Grapevine, TX
I Asked a Rigger Once

If there was a standard for running rigging colors. His answer was great: "Yep, there's a standard. Unfortunatly, I have a standard, he has a standard, and HE has a standard" pointing at the different people in the shop. I got his point. What I've decided to do is when I replace my running rigging (which is coming up soon), I'm going to replace them all at once, set a standard for me (the same for both boats), and then make a card listing that "standard" for future and permenant reference. That way, I can get in the habit of telling newbies to the boat "the main is the one that's 'insert color here'"

M

Mick

Color Code

Herb is right, there are a bunch of standards. I like to use red on the port side, and green on the starboard side, and I like to have the mainsail on starboard (halyards, mainsheet), and the headsail on port.

S

Scott

Rick, I can't answer your question specifically -

but we have a great source for running rigging right here in downtown Milwaukee, if you don't have a place already - Dave at Milwaukee Rigging. Let me know if you need contact information.

J

jim kolstoe

color themes

While I agree that there is no one standard color, I have encounterd, and endorse, the idea that you have one color for each sail, rather than by function. For instance, your main halyard might be blue, and the main sheet, cunningham, vang and outhaul have some variation such a blue thread woven into a white line. Similarly, you might use a (red, green, black, etc.) genoa halyard, with similar colored threads in the sheets. The specific function is then determined by where the line is - a good argument for a tidy cockpit. jim kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Our halyards are color coded red for port genoa, green for stbd genoa and blue for spinnaker. We only have one spinnaker halyard so we don't do spin peels. If we did, one would be solid while the other would be stripped. Our pole foreguy and downhaul are black and black/white stripped. The spin sheets are a smaller diameter white w/green fleck. Genoa sheets are larger diameter solid red w/gold fleck. No there is no standard code but the the use of red and green for associated port and stbd combined with other colors can make it easier on any newbie aboard. Of course, any regular crew soon knows just what is what. Another idea is to label every line stopper with clear labels which also can help to eliminate confusion.

R

Rick

Scott - Milwaukee Rigging

Scott - I sure would like to have Dave @ Milwaukee Rigging info. Does he have a pretty good selection in stock?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
rigging colors

My choices are solid colors over white with any kind of tracers. It's much easier to say "the red line" than "the white line with red tracers" New England charges extra for solid colors, none of the others do. I prefer yale yachtbraid or Samson LS for club race level sheets. I like tapered halyards. I don't think red for port or green for starboard is that important. My jib halyards are red and black, main is blue, spin hal is green, mainsheet is black, traveller blue/white. genoa sheets are red, spin sheets regular are purple, light air are yellow. I'm going to replace cunningham with purple marlow and boom vang with hot pink!.. yeah. Another reason I like solid colors is that they don't show dirt as much as white. Oh... and I've mentioned this many times. I HATE Sta set X.... no colors and fuzzy white cover picks up dirt like crazy. but mainly...it's very hard to splice... Do yourself a huge, cool racing skipper favor and build a couple of tapered halyards. Your crew will be very impressed. Go to Annapolis performance sailing website http://www.apsltd.com for a bunch of information on this stuff.

Oct 15, 2004
Oday 34 Wauwatosa, WI
Milwaukee Rigging info

Rick, Dave can be reached at dsmith at milwaukeerigging.com or 414-403-9579. He does have quite a large selection in stock. I have been really happy with his service and prices. He's in the Erv Julien shade shop building on N Milwaukee St.

Jan 22, 2008
Sundance Sundance 20 Weekender Ninette, Manitoba, Canada
According to Chapman Piloting

Chappy's 57 ed p 288 (1985 Hearst): "The lines may have a solid color, or be white with a colored "tracer". A recommended standard is: Mainsail sheet and halyard-white Jib Genoa-blue Spinnaker-red Topping lifts-green Vangs and travelers-orange

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Wow!!! I must get some more running

rigging. All this time I have struggled along with: 2 jib sheets, one port and one starboard, 2 halyards one on each side of the mast, 1 main sheet. There is a snotter for the whisker pole. O'yea, there is an anchor rode in the locker forward. Those are all of the working lines on my boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
ross, you are definitely

rigging challenged.... heh, heh, what ever works for you, though. BTW what is a "snotter" and what color is it? Since I have an extra cleat I was thinking I could add it to my set up.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Joe, Snotter is a short rope that fits into a

notch on the end of my whisker pole and supports the mast end. They also use the same set-up for a sprit sail rig to adjust the sprit. edited to correct spelling and to add: the snotter is white 3/8 laid nylon about six feet long with an eye spliced in one end( I don't remember which end). I found it in the parking lot.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
oh, I see...

Probably don't need one if I have an adjustable mast car? You know, with the pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.