Running Rigging Aft...where to start

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Right!!........below a photo of the mast base plate and deck hardware that routes all the lines aft on my sailboat......albeit, in your case the hardware will not need to be this complicated, as described above and a rigger can set you up with a clean installation with minimum hardware.

1594390261917.png

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
I don't know the O'Day 26 but another solution if you want to avoid the deck mounted hardware (A good thing) you can install a mast bail near the base of the mast and attach turning blocks to it. Or attach turning blocks to the mast with an eye. Halyards aren't such a problem because you normally use them twice on a sail. It's the sheets, winch if necessary and mainsheet/traveler that you would want near the helm because they need to be adjusted frequently.
Part of me is wondering if mounting a tang to the current hinged base plate via the existing through pin provisions would be a good solution (see concept image). It would mean no modifications to the mast or deck, I'm just wondering if it would place new stresses in a manner that I'm not thinking of right now after only having 2 cups of coffee....
Updated Tabernacle Hinge.png

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
Right!!........below a photo of the mast base plate and deck hardware that routes all the lines aft on my sailboat......albeit, in your case the hardware will not need to be this complicated, as described above and a rigger can set you up with a clean installation with minimum hardware.
The new plate I want to try to hold off on until its up on stand in the winter, and the mast is un-stepped. I definitely want to have this type of setup rather than drilling holes in the deck, but un-stepping in the water isn't a wise mans game and I really want this done in the next week or two...so I'm thinking I'm going to create my own "temporary" solution that can be quickly adapted to the base plate system: using tangs attached to the existing hinged plate for mounting the turning blocks (see a previous reply I made with a quick concept drawing), which could them easily be transferred over to the base plated system in the winter.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That
The new plate I want to try to hold off on until its up on stand in the winter, and the mast is un-stepped. I definitely want to have this type of setup rather than drilling holes in the deck, but un-stepping in the water isn't a wise mans game and I really want this done in the next week or two...so I'm thinking I'm going to create my own "temporary" solution that can be quickly adapted to the base plate system: using tangs attached to the existing hinged plate for mounting the turning blocks (see a previous reply I made with a quick concept drawing), which could them easily be transferred over to the base plated system in the winter.
That should work in the interim. You can still layout deck organizers that will work with the final plan.
Sfbay had to use a few to get around his hatch.

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
That

That should work in the interim. You can still layout deck organizers that will work with the final plan.
Sfbay had to use a few to get around his hatch.
That was what I'm thinking. If I use the tangs on the existing plate, the blocks that redirect the halyards to the deck will be in close proximity to the final design with a new plate that I install during the winter.

Awesome, I think I've found my solution. I'm going to get the materials and start working on this. I'll be posting a response on this thread showing my (interim) final design.