Running lines aft on Oday 25

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Hi, I've seen many posts on this, but still not quite settled in one particular part of the plan.

I'm planning to run most of the lines aft as follows:

Port side:
Main halyard
Reef tack line
Reef clew line

Starboard side:
Vang
Downhaul (making an 2:1 downhaul rather than using a cunningham)
Outhaul (making a 4:1 outhaul for my loose-footed mainsail based on an article on StingySailor)
(headsail halyard will be winched/cleated on mast)

This will allow reefing as well as shaping all 3 edges of the mainsail from the cockpit.

3 lines to each side. The challenge is the space between the hatch runner and hand rail is tight. I’ve read that ppl solve this several ways:
- create a triple cheek block by stacking a single on a double
- angle a deck organizer (with one rope rubbing on the hatch runner)
- mount a deck organizer to a piece of teak to avoid the rope(s) rubbing the hatch runner

I like the triple cheek block idea but can’t find them and don't want to MacGuyver a single/double stack. Otherwise I will plan to buy pieces of teak and mount the deck organizers on them to get the lines to run over the hatch runners. Other ideas? Maybe I can mount a single cheek block and double cheek block separately?

Thanks in advance.

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Is this what you are looking for?
I thought about a deck organizer like that. This is what is on my boat currently (ignore the end-of-season filth)- single cheek block on one side, double on the other. If I replace with a 3-sheave deck organizer, there isn't enough room for 3 lines without one line rubbing against the fiberglass angling down from the hatch runner. Maybe if I mounted it on top of a piece of teak that would be the best solution (3rd option in original post). Ideal would be a triple cheek block, but I can't find anyone who makes them...

I'll see if I can find the picture of someone else's setup with a deck organizer directly on the cabin.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
(headsail halyard will be winched/cleated on mast)
Do you have a jib furler? If so, this is the right way to do it..
If not, then you'd want your jib downhaul run outside on the stanchions and your jib halyard run to the cockpit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
TC. The organizer is a "Three Cheek Block". Are you thinking something like this, triple block with single attachment point?

1697305554968.png
This one is a Lewmar. Harken, Ronstan, Garhauer, and others make them.

Here is a basic cheek block.

1697305761670.png
You attach it to a flat surface with the line running parallel to the input side. It is designed to turn the line path 45º with minimal friction along the same plane.

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Do you have a jib furler? If so, this is the right way to do it..
If not, then you'd want your jib downhaul run outside on the stanchions and your jib halyard run to the cockpit.
Stu, thanks for your reply. I have a headfoil instead of a furler. Similar rope-channel as a furler, rather than hanked-on. Can’t use a job downhaul. Need to go to the foredeck to take the headsail down.

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
TC. The organizer is a "Three Cheek Block". Are you thinking something like this, triple block with single attachment point?

View attachment 220724
This one is a Lewmar. Harken, Ronstan, Garhauer, and others make them.

Here is a basic cheek block.

View attachment 220725
You attach it to a flat surface with the line running parallel to the input side. It is designed to turn the line path 45º with minimal friction along the same plane.
thanks JS. You are correct that a deck organizer is just a multiple cheek block. Here is a picture of what I was talking about - a cheek block with sheaves stacked rather than offset as in a deck organizer:

given the limited space, I’d gladly use a triple one of these, but I can’t find one. Otherwise I’ll figure out how to mount a deck organizer.

the triple block is also an idea - hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!
Thanks,
Todd

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can not recall seeing a 3 stack of the image you posted. Yes 2 but not 3.

There is a concern, I would have, with a unit that tall, maintaining fair leads to and out of the block. If on a deck, like I suspect you are considering, gravity would be working against you. The line in the top sheave could foul and impact the other two sheaves performance.

The unit could also pose a tripping hazard on deck.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
For an outhaul, I set up double blocks (IIRC) between the clew and boom end and ran the line forward on the boom to a clam cleat that captured the line. I originally mounted a horn cleat on the boom to cleat the line but then I mounted the clam cleat a bit forward so I could sweat the line while pulling it tight.

To run lines aft I mounted a quad block to turn the lines to a triple clutch. Both the clutch and turning block were mounted on 3/4" starboard to raise them. I contoured the underside of the starboard to match the curve of the deck. The triple block was for the main halyard and two reef lines.
The fourth line led aft was a downhaul for the main sail. That line was led to a cam cleat mounted vertically on the bulkhead. Not the smoothest fair lead but it did work well. It's show over the compass on the bulkhead photo.

For the boom vang I could easily reach it by standing in the companionway.

Hope this helps.
Here's some photos.

IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_3426.JPG IMG_4251.JPG IMG_4148.JPG

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
I can not recall seeing a 3 stack of the image you posted. Yes 2 but not 3.

There is a concern, I would have, with a unit that tall, maintaining fair leads to and out of the block. If on a deck, like I suspect you are considering, gravity would be working against you. The line in the top sheave could foul and impact the other two sheaves performance.

The unit could also pose a tripping hazard on deck.
JS - thanks, good comments. More to consider

• Ha
May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
For an outhaul, I set up double blocks (IIRC) between the clew and boom end and ran the line forward on the boom to a clam cleat that captured the line. I originally mounted a horn cleat on the boom to cleat the line but then I mounted the clam cleat a bit forward so I could sweat the line while pulling it tight.

To run lines aft I mounted a quad block to turn the lines to a triple clutch. Both the clutch and turning block were mounted on 3/4" starboard to raise them. I contoured the underside of the starboard to match the curve of the deck. The triple block was for the main halyard and two reef lines.
The fourth line led aft was a downhaul for the main sail. That line was led to a cam cleat mounted vertically on the bulkhead. Not the smoothest fair lead but it did work well. It's show over the compass on the bulkhead photo.

For the boom vang I could easily reach it by standing in the companionway.

Hope this helps.
Here's some photos.
[/QUOTE]

Ward, thanks for the photos. I like the quad block idea - will see if I can find one. Is that mast base plate from DR Marine? I have that on my shopping list.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ward, thanks for the photos. I like the squad lock idea - will see if I can find one. Is that mast base plate from DR Marine? I have that on my shopping list.
[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure it was. That was a few years back.