Running backstays on Beneteau First 38?

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Hello fellow Beneteau owners.
I am a new sailor who got lucky and was able to purchase a 1983 First 38 for a bargain price, and am now trying to catch up with "too much boat" for my little experience. I hope you will be able to help me with this one:
There are two steel cables hanging from my mast, each ending with an end fitting with an eye almost at the height of the deck. After some research, I believe these may be running backstays. I don't know if these came from the factory or were added by the first owner who was a serious racer.
I hope someone can tell me:
1) Did First 38's come with running backstays or were these an addition?
2) Although I am sure that one day these will come in handy, for now all I want is to secure them so they won't be banging against the mast, or get tangled with the various halyards coming down the mast. Any suggestions as to how I may go about doing this? (I understand that properly rigging running backstays involves the use of various blocks, but if there's a simpler solution I would be equally interested).
Thank you in advance.

JM

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
My buddy has them on his 375 first , the one opposite the tack your on gets tightened with block the other is loosened off. when not in use both are just tightened up ,snugged

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Our 1984 First 38 does not have running back stays. There are other F-38’s around here and I’ve never seen running back stays on any of them.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Our 1984 First 38 does not have running back stays. There are other F-38’s around here and I’ve never seen running back stays on any of them.
Must be an addition by the original owner then. I also realize he installed an inner stay forward of the mast. We was a serious racer, so I guess he was into mast bending. I, on the other hand, am barely managing to get a grip on the basics of sail trim.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
So, here's another question: How do I go about getting the running backs away from the mast without rigging them in a way which would interfere with the boom? It appears that backstays need to be pulled forward on the leward side when tacking, and I would like to avoid having to mess with them (for now).

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
So, here's another question: How do I go about getting the running backs away from the mast without rigging them in a way which would interfere with the boom? It appears that backstays need to be pulled forward on the leward side when tacking, and I would like to avoid having to mess with them (for now).
Can you fasten them in some fashion to the shrouds?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Sailing with running backstays you typically slacken the leeward stay and tighten the windward stay.
It would seem to me that the boom on your boat would be short enough that you could just tension both stays and you would still not interfere with the boom. The only other interference point I would imagine would be the mainsail itself if it was cut with a significant roach.

Sep 9, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Maryland Yacht Club
Our First 38 had running backs added - they are line (Dyneema I believe), not wire. There are blocks and cam cleats aft to run them to. As we sail the Chesapeake and rarely get big air or big water, we moved them to the mast. They are tied where the mast goes through the deck. We have a baby stay as well but haven't needed it and it interfered with our headsail when we tacked or gybed so we moved that to the base of the mast at the deck as well. We use a bungee cord at the dock to reduce the slapping against the mast. None of these adjustments affect us while sailing. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Oct 17, 2011
Beneteau First 42 Shelburne Bay
I own a B First 42, big sister to the 38. The principal is the same, stiffing the mast and having the ability to bend the top of the mast. The baby stay and running backs are sail controls, as much as they are standing rigging. Sailing hard into a head sea these control lines come in handy. I have made up a short coated wire pendent with a snap hook. I attached this to the base of the shroud turnbuckle, this allows me to store them out of the way when not in use sailing. Running backs will come in handy in the right conditions, with very little training. Good luck and enjoy you Beneteau!

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
I own a B First 42, big sister to the 38. The principal is the same, stiffing the mast and having the ability to bend the top of the mast. The baby stay and running backs are sail controls, as much as they are standing rigging. Sailing hard into a head sea these control lines come in handy. I have made up a short coated wire pendent with a snap hook. I attached this to the base of the shroud turnbuckle, this allows me to store them out of the way when not in use sailing. Running backs will come in handy in the right conditions, with very little training. Good luck and enjoy you Beneteau!
Thank you! If by any chance you happen to be on your boat and have a minute to send a quick pic of your setup, I would appreciate it.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Our First 38 had running backs added - they are line (Dyneema I believe), not wire. There are blocks and cam cleats aft to run them to. As we sail the Chesapeake and rarely get big air or big water, we moved them to the mast. They are tied where the mast goes through the deck. We have a baby stay as well but haven't needed it and it interfered with our headsail when we tacked or gybed so we moved that to the base of the mast at the deck as well. We use a bungee cord at the dock to reduce the slapping against the mast. None of these adjustments affect us while sailing. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Thank you!

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Our 1984 First 38 had both a baby stay and a pair of running back stays when we purchased her. She was seriously raced (19 Mackinac races) by the original owner.

In 2014 we replaced the baby stay and used a turnbuckle instead of a block and tackle to attach to the deck. The turnbuckle on the baby stay is adjusted/tuned each spring when the mast goes up (we store inside during the winter) and rarely adjusted during the sailing season. Having the baby stay in place allows us to more easily bend the top of the mast when adjusting the backstay. So far it has not interfered too much with the headsail when tacking & gybing. Johnson Marine (www.csjohnson.com) has an ‘inner forestay release lever’ which can be removed & moved to the mast when not needed.

We removed the running backstays with the intention that we would reinstall them if we become serious racers or head to the east coast and/or to the Caribbean. Removing them was quite easy as they were attached to the mast with T-ball swage fittings. Note, that our very experienced rigger strongly recommended keeping the the running backstays to prevent mast pumping.

If we reinstall the running backstays we may look at using Dyneema instead of stainless wire.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Our 1984 First 38 had both a baby stay and a pair of running back stays when we purchased her. She was seriously raced (19 Mackinac races) by the original owner.

In 2014 we replaced the baby stay and used a turnbuckle instead of a block and tackle to attach to the deck. The turnbuckle on the baby stay is adjusted/tuned each spring when the mast goes up (we store inside during the winter) and rarely adjusted during the sailing season. Having the baby stay in place allows us to more easily bend the top of the mast when adjusting the backstay. So far it has not interfered too much with the headsail when tacking & gybing. Johnson Marine (www.csjohnson.com) has an ‘inner forestay release lever’ which can be removed & moved to the mast when not needed.

We removed the running backstays with the intention that we would reinstall them if we become serious racers or head to the east coast and/or to the Caribbean. Removing them was quite easy as they were attached to the mast with T-ball swage fittings. Note, that our very experienced rigger strongly recommended keeping the the running backstays to prevent mast pumping.

If we reinstall the running backstays we may look at using Dyneema instead of stainless wire.
Exactly what I was told they prevent mast pumping which can cause the mast to break. Dyneema is most likely a good choice for running back stays .I would not use it to replace rigging especially in a northern climate ,it lengthens when cold and whole rig becomes loose