Run a new wire to O322 bilge?

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I'd like to add a 3rd wire to my bilge pump, so I can power both the manual and automatic circuits. Any 322 I've seen, and the one I own, has 2 wires only. Figuring how the heck I can run a wire from the panel to the bilge is daunting! The existing wires disappear from the rear of the compartment under the port settee (aft of the port water tank), go under the sole, and reappear coming into the aft port side of the bilge.

I'm thinking of running 3 new lines in a more accessible fashion. There's a "mini bilge" (made up name) immediately aft of the bilge. It's about 3" deep or so (see pics, the area lower in the pic). The two have no opening between them.

I'm considering drilling a hole on the port aft side of this mini bilge, and a second in the middle of the forward side of this mini bilge, and the last in the aft middle of the real bilge. I could then run new wires easy peasy.

But, I'm leery about drilling these holes. Have any 322 owners ever done that without sinking the boat?

IMG_1223[1].JPG

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
How is your current bilge pump wired? Do you have a switch which is Automatic-Off-Manual[On]?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not a 322 owner.
Have yo tried to pull the wires at the point they disappear? Can you tell are the wires secured after they disappear or are the loose running through a conduit. If the later you might be able to pull your new wires using the old ones as a messenger replacing old with new and extra wire.
While sometimes wires disappear and they make funny turns in places not visible, more often they are just straight runs of wire. That’s because it’s easier to run a straight wire run then a twisty one. Just a thought

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you not have a manual On switch? I thought they were mandatory. I may be misunderstanding the project, but you only need 2 wires at the pump as shown in SG's diagram. The 3rd manual "On" line may be over by the float switch. It just has to be somewhere between the float switch and the pump.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Most boats with bilge pumps on float switches that I have been on do not wire a circuit breaker or separate switch beyond the ones that “come” paired with the bold GE pump. The wire is usually directly to the main house battery (and not through the battery shutoff or sector switches). If you want to shut it off, you do so at the dedicated pump switch by selecting off. The manual function is usually a “hold on”.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
The pump currently runs only on "automatic" via the float switch, with no available power to operate the manual mode. I have a circuit breaker for the power. I'm installing a Rule On/Off/Auto switch, and needed another power line. As stated above, I have no confidence that I can pull another set of wires without a huge risk of losing the circuit I have.

But, an electrician friend on the Facebook O'Day Owners group came up with a great suggestion, that I will use. I'll use the two existing wires both for power. one for the float circuit, and one for the manual On circuit. The bilge pump is within a few feet of my batteries, and I have access to run a wire from the pump to them. So, I'll run a new ground over to the batteries. problem solved, without having to drill holes into unknown places....

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While your question is OD-322 specific, I do have one suggestion. I have chased all (!) of the original wiring in our boat over the decades, and early on found that it was necessary to remove the plugs in the wood settee backs and then remove the screws. Once those panels are set aside, the access to the wiring bundle and the bilge pump wires was/is lots easier. Since the settee cushion back pieces totally cover the panels when in place, there was never a reason to put plugs back over those screw heads.
No great wisdom here and nothing you probably have not thought of, but sometimes it does help to -carefully- deconstruct some parts to reach this stuff. When in doubt, take notes and digital pix of your work progress.

One other thing: always (!!) fuse any direct connection to your batteries per ABYC guides. I use a Blue Seas fuse panel with blade-type fuses for all direct wired circuits. Not only conformal, but safe.

And also in the realm of unrequested (unwanted?) advice, if that is an 80's bilge hose glued into a cuff.... it's a decade overdue for replacement with a smooth bore hose. It ain't fun pulling new hose through invisible spaces in the bilges, but it should be on the high-priority maintenance list on any older boat.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
FastOlson, I was going to run a new ground from the pump to the battery, not a hot wire. I didn't think that wire would be fused, but you're saying it should be? Guess I'll read up on this before I make the change.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you look at the diagram previously provided, ask your electrician why you don’t have the power already available. I don’t understand the problem that would cause two separate feeds?

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Like I said before, I'm good now. Maybe the point I didn't make clear is the pump I have has an integrated float, it's not a separate float as depicted in the diagram earlier. So with that type of pump, I need two hot wires at the bilge. One for the Manual on circuit, and one to run through the float.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your query about fusing is that you fuse the hot leads. no fuse needed on a ground wire. Issue is if there is a short to ground on a hot lead you could burn up the wire and start a fire. No such thing on a ground wire.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
Mickster; it is possible to fish a pilot line throught he existing false bilge to power the pump. I used an electricians wire snake from the Port tank to the bilge area. Left an extra wire in there for next time.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Mickster; it is possible to fish a pilot line throught he existing false bilge to power the pump. I used an electricians wire snake from the Port tank to the bilge area. Left an extra wire in there for next time.
Thanks BwWhisper. Do you have a pic?

BTW, are you familiar with the annual O'Day rOnDAYvous gatherings we have? This year it's at Stratford Marina, the weekend of 7/19. If you'd like more info, let me know! I'm right across the sound in Mt Sinai.