Rumbling/throbbing sound when carrying Genoa 180 in 7kts+

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Recently, I became a bit adventerous and started carrying more sail in more wind. That's when the Admiral and I noticed a rumbling kind of noise in winds exceeding 7kts. The noise is only present when carrying 180% genoa and appears to be coming from the standing rigginf; more precisely rigging vibration transferred to the hull (its definitely NOT my keel or keel cable). Quetion: should I worry and carry less sail?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Any specific points of saul? Could be mast pump? How are your shrouds and forestay set? As in tension % or pounds?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Holy mackerel, 180%! Must be a hank-on.

I'm trying to imagine where you'd lead the sheets.

Back to the transom, maybe? :D

Sure, sail it. Just mind the wind, eh?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Any specific points of saul? Could be mast pump? How are your shrouds and forestay set? As in tension % or pounds?
Not really in terms of point of sail, but it is more pronounced when heading up. As to the other question - say what????

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Holy mackerel, 180%! Must be a hank-on.

I'm trying to imagine where you'd lead the sheets.

Back to the transom, maybe? :D

Sure, sail it. Just mind the wind, eh?
well, 7 kts with that deck sweeper (aka "the Whomper") is pretty much the max. The sheets are set up the same way as for any other genoa (outside the stays and lifelines to the cockpit). It's just in anything above 5 kts we need the winch handle to trim it...:evil:

Feb 20, 2011
Re: Rumbling/throbbing sound when carrying Genoa 180 in 7kts

As to THECUSCUS' other question, he's asking "how tight are your shrouds and stays?".

Jan 6, 2010

I would take heed to what THECUSCUS & PIOTR said.

Yea, I would also look @ rigging tension. When I get the "Pump" for me, I find that's kinda kool. But, my rigging is tuned, is yours?

ps: A 180 head, that's a little heavy for your size/weight boat.

CR

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina

180. Must be an Alberta boat. :)

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I would take heed to what THECUSCUS & PIOTR said.

Yea, I would also look @ rigging tension. When I get the "Pump" for me, I find that's kinda kool. But, my rigging is tuned, is yours?

ps: A 180 head, that's a little heavy for your size/weight boat.

CR
180 is estimated, but the sail dimentions coincide with the 180's dimentions , so it must be close.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
As to THECUSCUS' other question, he's asking "how tight are your shrouds and stays?".
Yes, I know. Buit I don't know the numbers. I loosened out the backstay recently, and the shrouds are tensioned evenly, withj the leeward shrouds going slack, so i assume we are ok. So far.

Feb 20, 2011
Yes, I know. Buit I don't know the numbers. I loosened out the backstay recently, and the shrouds are tensioned evenly, withj the leeward shrouds going slack, so i assume we are ok. So far.
You might see what happens with incremental changes in tension?

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I would buy or borrow a Loos gauge for tension, and make sure you have them tuned to specs. It sounds like mast pumping from too slack rigging. The jib may be telling you "I want to spend money!"

Seriously, the way you describe it sounds as though you do not know the specs. I have yet to meet someone who carried a rig that was too tight. It can be bad also, so don't just tighten them...

Also, check below and make sure there are not any gaps between all the supporting members to the hull (and not just the deck).

Lastly, that big a jib puts out a lot of lateral pressure. Do you have a lot of pressure on the tiller? A 180 can't be sheeted in enough to point well in my experience, so you may be hearing/feeling keel turbulence.

Jeff

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I agree with this too. Have you done this before?
Leech line is adjusted , there are no loose fittings, spaces, etc. One of the former owners of Mac 25 in my marina told me that it means the boat has achieved the hull speed and is trying to plane , i.e. it is pushing more and more water under the bow. I'll check the specs and see what I've got for the rigging tension at some point...

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010

By the way, since there are specs for 180% for Mac, the boat is obviously designed to carry one (and a spinnaker). So I don't think I'm overloading anything.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina

A Mac 25 planing? Cool. Where do I get one?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida

Rumbling and throbbing while flying a 180 in 7+ knots ...

Are you sure it's the boat, and not your loins??

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Rumbling and throbbing while flying a 180 in 7+ knots ...

Are you sure it's the boat, and not your loins??
Yes, I'm sure. The rumbling from my loins is usually masked by screaming of my brain:" What the F#@%* are you doing???" Or it could be the Admiral - it's hard to tell...