Rule Super Switch Wiring

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
I just picked up a new Rule Super Switch to replace a defective switch. After opening the package, I noticed that the two wires for the new unit are the same color. Does it make any difference which wire is connected to which wire of the terminal block located above the switch, or is there an easy way to distinguish which is the power lead and which is the ground?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It doesn't matter which goes where. It is not power and ground... It is power and switched power. So one wire goes back to auto connection of the the on/off/auto switch. The other to the pump hot (on side of the switch). Use heat shrink barrel (butt) connectors. I like belts with suspenders so also coat with liquid electrician tape in a bottle.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes it does. A switch is designed to allow electricity to travel from the battery to your pump. If the switch is not connected "OPEN" then no power gets to the pump. IF the switch is "CLOSED" then through the switch their is a connection. Your pump will turn on.
So you need to connect the two leads on the Negative side of the battery and to the Negative side of the pump as indicated in this image from the Rule installation guide.
Happy pumping.
RUL-CTL-Foat-Switch-Manual.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And use the connections suggested by Les. He knows best.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ok I see what they are saying. On pg 18 I believe they are trying to tell you to keep the connections out of the water. On Page 21 they show a much better electrical drawing showing the switch on the positive. Very confusing message their sending!!!

Les

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Bilge switches are normally installed in the positive feed to avoid the pump having live 12V all the time. Pumps can leak DC current (read DC corrosion issues) so stopping 12V POS DC at the switch, before it gets to the pump is the best practice seeing as the switch is usually in the OFF position. Extra bonus for using a quality bilge switch such as the Ultra Safety Systems Mini, Junior or Senior. I've not installed a Rule switch in years but I replace a venerable boat load of them due to a very high failure rate.........

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A switch by itself has no polarity it is basically used to break the flow on a single wire which is a part of one or more circuits. It is the way that circuits are designed that determine the position and function of switches but each can be substituted by another switch mounted with leads facing on either position, hence the same color wires.