Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2007
- - Holland, Mi
When sailing my 30, I have alot of weather-helm and difficulty backing. Has anyone heard of a Catalina rudder modification which lessened these problems(specifically, enlarging the rudder)??

R

Rodger

Not the rudder

I don't think that changing the rudder will help much. The problem that you have with weather helm is not a rudder problem, it is more likely a sail trim issue. I am not the expert around here but I know that you can flatten the shape of the main and ease the traveler to reduce weather helm. I am sure that someone else will be able to give you more details. As far as backing goes, you are just going to have to make peace with prop-walk. Find some things that work for you and use them. Like, backing into your slip may be easier that backing out. Also you can use spring lines to control a back-out. My C-30 backs suppressing well in dead calm conditions. It is the other things that effect backing like roller-furling jib or even people standing on the deck that catch the wind and make the day interesting. By the way, 2 bladed props have less prop-walk than 3 bladed props.

B

Bob V

Prop Walk

Prop walk can be a wonderful thing once you learn to use it instead of fight it. You can move your stern sideways as if you had thrusters. You can turn you boat in a circle at dead slow speeds in a space not much wider than your LOA. Most of our boats prop walk to port meaning the the stern will move to port if the boat is in reverse. This can be easily controlled but practice out in the open. The worst time is when the boat is just starting to move backwards and there is no significant flow past the rudder. It will help it you apply reverse thrust in bursts alternated with times when it is in neutral and the rudder can began to catch a water flow. Once you have a little speen on the rudder starts to do it's job quite well and a subtle touch is best but remember not to let go of the wheel because the rudder will slam hard against it's stop cable and possibly cause damage. By the way, I concur with Rodger. Weather helm while sailing is adjusted with the sails not the rudder.

Status
Not open for further replies.