Rudder tube shims

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
I have another question related to my rudder shaft on my 1989 catalina wing keel . I've got some side play in the rudder tube and I have read you can use Mylar sheets to act as shims. My question is does it have to be Mylar or can it be any pvc like thin sheets?
Thanks

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Hey Chris - while I previously suggested “implementing” the West Systems’ method to correct your rudder play problem, I would say this:
1) I don’t know how you would secure Mylar shims and keep them from slipping around and binding up on each other. If that happened I could see this potentially jamming your rudder. And, of course, if your rudder jammed it would do it at the most inappropriate time!
2) Others may have successfully used Mylar shims - if so hopefully they chime in.
3) If you do decide to go the West Systems graphite bearing pad way: I have a whole can of WS graphite powered, less 2 or 3 scoops I used. I also have plenty of WS high density filler. I’d be happy to send you enough of each to do the job (no charge). Let me know through a direct email. If you don’t have WS epoxy resin and hardener, maybe someone you know does. You will not need more than 2 squirts of each. If I do send you the powder and filler, I’ll throw in a WS syringe (that’ll cost you, though, like 1 beer, if we ever cross paths). You’ll need one to inject the mixture.
4) Whichever method you decide to use - I wish you the best!

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Thanks for all your help George I really appreciate it. I've been going back and forth which method to use . Catalina has said both will work I've measured the gap between the cylinder with a deeper gauge it about 20 thousands . So it's not huge and could get away with one shim . I actually did order the kit from catalina direct if i decide to go that route. The problem if I did it that way I would have to wait my yard to raise the boat so the i could get the rudder out and they told me depending on weather it could be awhile cause they are running behind.

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
No problem! I forgot you don’t have the clearance to just drop the rudder out. That is a problem. Hope it all works out for you!