Rudder stock bushings

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
I pulled the rudder on my S2 9.2 c because of leakage (inside the boat) and some side play at the lower part of the rudder. I found only one plastic bushing at the very top of the shaft not even inside the tube. The packing gland is hard (maybe that’s the reason for the leak). The question is there supposed to be another bushing at the bottom of the tube and where can I find the packing gland?. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The packing gland uses the same stuff the stuffing box on the prop shaft uses, however, it may be a different size and will likely only take one ring. You'll have to open it up to see what size material it will use.

It may be necessary to remove the quadrant to get better access to the rudder shaft. The gland should attach to something at the end of the tube. Some exploratory surgery may be necessary.

If the plastic is hard and shiny it is probably Delrin. If it is dull in color and a little softer it is probably some HDPE or similar. There should be very little to no play in the rudder.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The bushing looks in a fair shape is it supposed to have another one down the tube or there is only one on top?

I don’t think the bushing should be cracked. It is probably delrin.

The gland on my boat only used one ring of packing. Your gland looks like a repurposed shaft gland.

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Any idea where I can find a new bushing? And why do you think I have this side play at the bottom of the rudder. I am trying to send a short video to show the movement of the rudder but it keep saying the file is too big

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Avi... Been awhile. I would send a PM to @Mark Maulden. He as an S2 11.0. Perhpas he can shed light on your rudder issue.

The image posted looks too me that the fiberglass has deteriorated around the rudder shaft log. Thus allowing water to slip up the tube and around the shaft log. This may account for the slop you are feeling. I do not see that resolved with a bushing. I would inspect it. It may require rebuilding the shaft log to attain water tightness.

The stuffing in the box looks aged. Check out MaineSails website for how to cut the packing and insert it into the stuffing box.

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Yea didn’t have much action on the water. Thanks for the advice, that’s what I was afraid of. I Understand it’s a complicated and expensive endeavor to rebuild the rudder stock tube. Any bushing can be fabricated to reduce the clearance between the stock and the tube?

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Also the boat is in a boatyard where there’s no “sailboat mechanic “ that can take on a job like this

• Wow