Rudder Sensor

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
I am planning to install a Raymarine rudder sensor on a Hunter 31. Has anyone installed one before? I am looking at the 4 page installation diagrams and they don't quite make sense for my 31. If I installed the Rudder Sensor to the ceiling in the back of the quarter berth, it would seem to fit, work not sure. The fittings and clips on the rudder sensor would be upside down. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am planning to install a Raymarine rudder sensor on a Hunter 31. Has anyone installed one before? I am looking at the 4 page installation diagrams and they don't quite make sense for my 31. If I installed the Rudder Sensor to the ceiling in the back of the quarter berth, it would seem to fit, work not sure. The fittings and clips on the rudder sensor would be upside down. Any help would be appreciated.
Check the installation manual, there should be a calibration procedure.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Here is what I did in my H-34; similar but not identical to the setup on the 31:
it is mounted inverted. I had to nibble a bit of rudder stop off to clear the pushrod.. Measure carefully. If I remember correctly, I had to reverse the red and green wires going to the control head.
Transducer installation.JPG

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
It tells the autopilot how much the rudder is moving and where it is. a secondary display is on the autopilot screen when the pilot is in "standby" It can be used to get sails balanced before the autopilot is engaged so the pilot does not have to work as hard.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If I remember correctly the calibration procedure starts with centering the rudder and telling the AP that the rudder is centered. It then goes through a series of S turns to learn the rudder's range. Don't do this on a narrow waterway or in a lot of boat traffic.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My Rudder sensor must be set in Dealer Mode and done in a harbor. Its limit is then set ± 24 deg angle.

You normally have a Rudder Stops in your Quadrant area the prevents your rudder movement.

Why?

Your Rudder, when Backing up, would be damaged, if allowed Swing more than ± 24 degrees.

Jim...

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
Here is what I did in my H-34; similar but not identical to the setup on the 31:
it is mounted inverted. I had to nibble a bit of rudder stop off to clear the pushrod.. Measure carefully. If I remember correctly, I had to reverse the red and green wires going to the control head.
View attachment 223494
Thank you, this is what I was thinking. Thank you for the quick simple response.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You can install it upside down if that is the best way to mount it. You may need to switch the wires to the AP around…so it displays properly.

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 boat came with an Autohelm 7000 course computer, 6000 control head and rudder sensor. Always impressive how the boat tracks a course especially with some drift.