Rudder Sensor Installation on Hunter 33.5

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I just bought a new Raymarine rudder reference sensor for my (almost installed) ST4000+ autopilot. I'm also curious about how others installed this item. I assume that it needs to be installed under the back deck plate but there doesn't seem to be that much room there.

Do any Hunter 33.5 owners have photos and maybe share some advice?

Another thing I'm curious about is how the ST4000+ behaves without this sensor. Some folks tell me it's "optional", but it makes sense that the autopilot will perform better it it knows the position of the rudder.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Rudder Position Sensor

I couldn't get my ST 4000 to drive correctly until I installed the RPS .. It could drive a while then kinda get crazy. Never would sail a straight line. I think the quickness of the steering was the problem. The control unit could be set for 3 turns lock-to-lock and my 34 has only about 1 3/4. The RPS really helped get everything under control! I fought putting one on for several years then gave up and talked to the folks at RayMarine. The tech said it would help a lot to have the sensor because of my rudder quickness. I've attached a couple of pictures of my installation in the 34, but I understand it is different in the 33.5. Getting the unit to recognize the RPS was not intuitive.. :

1. Install and connect transducer.
2. Enter Dealer Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 14 seconds.
3. Press +1/-1 simultaneously to get Cal Lock screen.
4. Press Disp to get Pilot Type screen.
5. Use +1/-1 to change type to a different pilot type, any type.
6. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit Dealer Setup.
7. Repeat Dealer Setup mode, change back to correct pilot type (wheel or tiller,) exit Dealer Setup.
8. Enter User Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 2 seconds.
9. Press Disp five times to change to the Bar Selection screen.
10. Press +1/-1 to select "Rudd Bar" or "Steer Bar".
11. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit User Setup.
12. Power down and back up.
13. Rudder reference transducer should now be detected and displayed on the screen

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Look at the boat info section and under owner mods go to 29.5. A guy has a pic there of the 29.5 install. I did mine just like that. Works fine.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Getting the unit to recognize the RPS was not intuitive.. :

1. Install and connect transducer.
2. Enter Dealer Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 14 seconds.
Thanks for the info! Printed. Regarding your photo, my 33.5 has the rudder gear on top, exposed to the elements, protected only by a 3ft x 4ft deck cover. Not a great design. It does, however allow more space in the cabin underneath.

I have also been on boats where the autopilot also goes wonky, so I wanted to make sure the RPS was not one of the reasons.

Boats... nothing but time and lots of $$$! [grin]

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I was pretty sure the gear was under the cover; I'd worked with a buddy on his 37.5 installing a RPS but I didn't have any pictures.. Doesn't look like a bad install for ya !

May 5, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Bellingham
I have a 1988 33.5 and can post some pictures. The only way I could make it work was to run the swing arm over the top of the rudder.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Well, thanks to the help on this thread I installed my sensor today. Went perfect. On the hunter 33.5, I didn't need a block of wood as shown in the previous example.

Works great! Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Good Job MZ Mine went pretty well. I had bought a sensor on a consignment shop table. it was new but had no hardware . I had to scrounge parts to make it work. I had to fool with rod length etc.