Rudder Response

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Our 2006 Capri 22 has a problem responding to the tiller, especially at low speeds. Last year, when I first sailed the boat, I wasn't real aware of it, but this year I have to use the motor to assist in turning during docking. Has anyone experienced this?

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
You'll have to be more specific... Its pretty typical to have problems steering 90 degrees at under 1 knot, especially in under a boat length. You can usually spin the Capri 22 on a boat length at 2 knots or better.

I used to have fun with people trailing me, I could flip my Capri 25 around doing crazy ivans at 5 knots.. scare the death outta my sail club members. Fun doing 360s without losing more than 1 knot. Way to get a penalty, and not lose much.

Jul 9, 2013
I agree that we need more information in order to offer any help.

And the Capri 22 is the MOST RESPONSIVE boat of that length I have ever sailed/steered!

I too, can turn around 180 on a dime - at least well within half a boat length.

I don't even have a motor on Kudzu, so docking and driving onto the trailer is always at low speed, but always seem to have enough helm control to put it where I want it.

But your mileage may vary....

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Here more info regarding my question. I am new to the Capri 22 and have only sailed it about six times. As a result, I am on a steep "Learning Curve." Also keep in mind that my previous boat was a 23 foot inboard Diesel, which of course has different handling characteristics. I've found two things that have added to my problem. First, I added a 7/16 thick spacer that lifted the Rudder out of the water that same amount. I did this so the Tiller would sit a little higher in the cockpit, and be more comfortable, also reduce the movement (Up/down) of the rudder. Secondly, I found that the Rudder's Clip Pin, that secures the Pintle in the Gudgeon was to long and was resisting the movement of the Rudder in one direction. I've corrected these two items and things seems to be better! Now I need more practice!!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Always be aware that any movement in space on either pintle or gudgeon will result in dramatic (inches) difference in the location of the leading edge of the rudder. Which is why it is essential to get the rudder square to the transom.

The spacer you put in likely dramatically changed the angle of attack of the rudder.

Jul 18, 2013
Shnool's "spacer affecting the angle of attack to dramatically affect the turning response" is plausible, but...

I think that this "problem" is more a function of the skipper moving from a "23 foot inboard Diesel" (where every turn is power driven) to sail, where everything seems to happen in slow motion (and the slow-speed turn is just redirection of existing inertia).

My recommendation is 1) plan ahead more and don't expect to turn on a diesel-powered-dime while ghosting along at 1 kt, and 2) if you find yourself going slow and needing to turn fast, then push hard on that tiller, lots (but don't smash any fingers), and 3) be glad you have a C-22 instead of something that is much slower and unresponsive.

Welcome to the "club"

PS. I love the traveler work you've done.

Jul 7, 2015
I agree with others and find the Capri22 to be quite responsive. The only situation I can think of where the rudder would have no bite is when following a current. If you're speed is equal to the current, the rudder is effectively neutral, you still have speed over ground but relative to the current the boat is still.