Rudder Replacement Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Conant

Just purchased and moved a Catalina 25 (1982) from North Hero, Vt to Malletts Bay, Vt .... in heavy winds and seas ...(for Lake Champlain)About 50 years from calmer seas .... with an opening to navigate approximately 25 yard wide ... The lower rudder holding cotter pin sheared ... and steering was lost ... The honda 4 stroke kept us off the rocks .... and we were unable to pull the upper cotter pin to remove the rudder and tiller from the transom ... 4 foot seas, rain, wind ... and needed to hold the boat ... by motor ... I was able to, finally last the tiller tighly agains the transom .... to avoid it thrashind and trashing the motor .... and obtained a tow by my local marine police boat ... Unfortunately, the water forced by the tow .... forces a rudder wide crack just below the top transom connector plate ... While I've got a repair person to look at the rudder ... I'd like to find a place with replacement rudder(s) for the craft ... Any suggestions will be appreciated .... West Marine says they don't have one ... Tks Sam Conant

S

Sam

rudder replacement for Catalina 25

In my previous note, please correct "years" to "yards" in line three and "last" to "lash" in line nine. The other typos are relatively easy to figure out ... Tks SamC

J

Jim Motley

25 Rudder

You might try Catalina. They quoted me $475.00 for a kick up rudder for a C250WB, which I intend to order. It even included the tiller and post. Talk with Greg in parts.

K

Ken Cave

Catalina Yachts has the new rudder you need

Call Catalina Yachts direct, or, if you have a Catalina dealer near you, try them also. The older Catalina 25 have a rudder that really is horrible to work with in following seas. The new unit, which comes with the gundgons and tiller is well worth the money (about $500.00 shipped) as it is set foward under the boat thus reducing the steering pressure under harsh conditions. If you have an Autohelm 1000 (which I highly recommend) it will also react faster to the new designed rudder. Ken Cave Dragon Tail #789

S

Sam Conant

Udder Rudder

Tks Ken ... your reply and recommendations are stored in the file ... for the future ... I located a local fiberglass shop near my home ... and they were able to rebuild and re-enforce the rudder ... for about 1/2 what a new one would have cost ... But, I've taken your recommendation under advisement ... and will use it if this work doesn't hold .... Sam Conant

S

Sam Conant

Udder Rudder

Tks Jim ... I did speak with someone in the Catalina "shop," but found a quicker and, I believe, better service locally in a fiber glass repair shop near my home which works primarily with marine repairs ... I watched them remove the rudder ... spent some time in their shop at their invitation (I host a local TV program about local businesses and government issues, so they were quite positive with their invitation) watching them assess, and re-build the inner and external structure ... My belief is that this repaired rudder will probably outlast the damned boat!!! {:+) Tomorrow I move it once again ... This time from the dockside berth in my local, friendly marina to the home mooring around the point and into Malletts Bay, in Vermont ... Tks for writing... Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.