Rudder Repair - Wet Core, Split

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I have some rudder repair to complete, what is teh general consensus on rudder repairs?
Pourable Foam?

I am hoping to avoid building an entire new, rather replace the core, and reglass the halves back together again...

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Can you post photo(s)? What is the problem..........water intrusion? Do a search on this site on "ruder repair" and you will see many threads on this subject.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Pourable foam can be tricky because it expands. This can blow the halves of your rudder apart if you try to inject it in. The foam also outgasses for longer than you might realize. This can also cause deformation or delamination of the fiberglass skins. (They come unstuck from the foam in places.) Rigid foam that you shape to the desired curve might avoid these problems.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Figure out what caused it to split.
  • Armature is corroded and expanded in the process. Might need a new armature.
  • Ice from last winter. When the boat is out of the water, if it is wet the water expands (in the water this is not a problem because it does not freeze).

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Watching Andy's series now. Thanks @Davidasailor26. One concern is making sure the foil shape is returned. so I am with you @PaulK on careful execution with pourable foam. Rudder Craft mentioned they do not use 2-part foam. So perhaps there is something there.
@sail sfbay I should have a good look at things this weekend. I will try to post pictures.
..but I think it has been a long time coming on repair, the front edge is split right at the seam @thinwater . Usually the rudder post is a place for water intrusion.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
**UPDATE** 11/16, 1 month later

I am STILL trying to remove the rudder!!! I was able to loosen the quadrant. cut 1 bolt off, but still can separate the halves. Anyone have first hand information on how a C&C 30-2 rudder is retained?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm prolly late to this but to ameliorate the problem of getting the right foil shape back into the rudder you can template the rudder before initiating the repair. That will give you a curve to work back to. You may have to account for thickness of the skin. That could be simple as a shim glued to your template.
I don't know if 2 part can be shaped but I would guess so.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
**UPDATE 11/19**
After barley, hops and malt flavored "consultations" with a friend he asked if the lower bearing was perhaps holding up? I borrowed a large pipe wrench, and twisted it to make sure it was clear of the rudder post. I swear I thought I felt a little bit of vertical movement. 10min later PARTIAL success, I have moved the rudder down 1"!!!! Now to finish that off after work, and hopefully have the rudder off this weekend so I can start the rebuild process. Only 1 month to remove the rudder....how hard can it be? :frown: