Rudder Removal 1983 Hunter 31

Jan 3, 2013
hunter 31 navarre
:confused:
I think my rudder got bent when being towed off a sandbar last week.
I had the boat hauled and it's on a stand.
I have removed the quadrant and cables.
Rudder will not drop.

I understand there are two bearings as seen from the pix attached

From the pix there are 2 bearings: 1 at the hull that is in the glassed tube and the 2nd one is above the lazerette shelf. On my boat the lazereete shelf up to the top where the emergency tiller access is also a glassed tube.
So due to the glassed tubes I do not have access to the bearings.

Am I correct that I need to cut off the glass tubing at the lazereete shelf to get access to the bearing. Is it holding the rudder in place with a through bolt or something.
:) UPDATED I FOUND THE SOLUTION
Well I was wrong there is nothing to cut!!. If you remove the screws for the for the collar of the inspections plate at the top where the access is for the emergency tiller. Remove the collar you have access to the bolt that holds the rudder shaft on. Very simple!!!
;)
Please any advice is very welcome.
Kevin

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
If I remember correctly there's also a pin around the rudder collar that I had to drive out.
Have you removed the hose gland clamps?

Attachments

Jan 3, 2013
hunter 31 navarre
I removed the hose gland clamps.
I removed the quadrant halves and all associated bolts.
there are no other thru pins or anything visible from the top of the glassed tube to the ceiling of the aft quarter berth.
Was the pin under the rubber hose?

Jan 3, 2013
hunter 31 navarre
No I think it was up on top above the top bearing.
How do u get to it?
There is fiberglass tube from the floor to the emergency tiller access port in the aft storage locker in the cockpit.

Before I cut it open I wish someone could verify

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That is strange, Kevin.. I don't think that tube is a normal part of the original system. The bearing that holds the rudder up is a flat faced bearing with one face looking up, the one in the top of the lazarette floor,, and one rotating face looking down, attached with a thru-bolt to the rudder post just above the lazarette floor. There are teflon washers in between the faces. I don't know why someone would want to put a glass tube covering the rudder post in there unless it was to keep things in the lazarette from touching the rudder post. Can the tube be pulled out the top hole (under the wood plate) ?
I am not super familiar with the steering stuff in the 31, but I thought it was identical to the one in the sketch.. which is like the one in the 34.

Sep 4, 2007
The steering on the 34 is the same for those model years. At least it was on mine. It looks like you might have to remove that top tube. You shouldn't need it since it's well above the water line.

Jan 3, 2013
hunter 31 navarre
The steering on the 34 is the same for those model years. At least it was on mine. It looks like you might have to remove that top tube. You shouldn't need it since it's well above the water line.
I agree about the water due to fact that if water came it would flood the aft quarter berth first and never make it to the second glass tube.

Jan 18, 2015
Hunter 31 Grosse Pointe
Where would one buy replacement rudder bearings? Read in another post they should be replaced every 20 years... H31 is 30 this year!

And we are getting a strange vibration/knocking at low speeds under power and in gear??!?!

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
I am thinking of removing my rudder for the winter and storing it indoors due to moisture in it. Can someone tell me the exact steps to removing the rudder? Also, how much clearance above the ground do I need in order for the rudder post to clear the hull? Thanks in advance for all the useful info I know is forthcoming. Reg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We removed mine last year while it was on the hard for a bottom job. The boat had to be lifted a LONG way. The travel lift was at its max height when the rudder shaft finally cleared the hull. If we had needed another two inches, I think they would have had to change to shorter lifting straps. It was a little tense for me, as I had only owned the boat about a week.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
The boat is sitting on a trailer in my back yard. There is about 7 feet of clearance between the hull, where the rudder post exits the hull, and the ground. If the overall length of the rudder is 8 feet I should only have to dig a hole a foot or so deep. Can anybody tell me how many hours work goes into removing that cover in the quarter berth overhead as well as the quadrant and the bolts at the top of the rudder post?

Sep 4, 2007
Reg.
If i remember correctly it was a about an hour to remove everything if you have all the right tools. I had to make several trips off the boat to get the right size tools. I also ran a rope from the winch under the rudder and back up to the winch on the other side to hold the rudder in place until I was ready to lower it.

Sep 19, 2019
Hunter 34 Kemah
Hi guys. I want to change the rudder bearings on my ‘86 Hunter 34. I’ve been reading about how to do it since the original bearing is no longer available. Does anyone have drawings or photos of how they got it done. I’d like to see it being done before I start the project.
Thanks!