Rudder problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Palmer

After applying bottom paint to my 1981 H33 this weekend, I noticed this huge bulge on the rudder. I guess I han't noticed it before because the boat was in the shop for some gelcoat work. The VC-17 really makes the bulge stand out. I drilled a hole near the bottom of the bulge, and water sputed out. You could then push on the bulge and it was like pushing a bladder with more water coming out. I then drilled half a dozen more holes, and signs of moisture are present. My Don Casey book on Hull and Deck Repair go into quite a discussion on repair, but I am wondering if there are other Hunter owners that have had this problem, and if so, what was your solution. Do you think I need to pull the rudder from the boat? How many holes to drill? How long to dry? What to mix with the epoxy that is injected? These are sample questions, and any comments are welcome. I have also included a picture of the rudder in the photo section. Thank you. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

B

Bill of Sandpiper

rudder blister

Been there, done that. Well, I had no blisters but I always suspected water. Drilles 3/8" holes from bottom up to drain but it didn't ever seem to stop so I stood it over a heating duct all winter. In spring I drilled several inspection holes in sides. WET! So I ground off most of the glass casing then drilled many holes through foam being careful not to go through stainless webs. Not much evidence of rust so I hope the steel welds are good. Let dry 2 more weeks. When new inspection holes came out dry I masking taped the holes on 1 side then poured 2 part high density urethane expanding foam into the cavities. Sawed off excess then sanded smooth. Bit of epoxy fairing compound finished the prep work. Two layers of 10 oz.cloth and vinylester resin then 3 more resins and the job was done. Surveyor said it was dryer than the 2X4's of a 40 yr. old house. Put 3M5200 or Sikaflex around place where shaft enters rudder. If you have a blister you probably have more water than you think. Borrow a moisture meter from your friendly surveyor!

E

Ed Schenck

Wet rudder.

I've also worried about mine(H37C) for three winters. The drainage from the third year of holes seems to have dried things out. But I am still going to open mine up some winter just to be sure. Bill did his right and I want to do the same. I want to see for myself that the stainless stock and plate are still in good condition. Practical Sailor did an excellent rudder story several months ago with detailed pictures. Thanks for the pictures. I have had Poli-glow for 18 months and still haven't had time to use it. Your boat looks great!

K

Ken Palmer

Thanks for the response

I just talked with Greg at Hunter, and he suggested I do as Bill did. I was hoping to get by with a temporary repair to get me through our short sailing season and do a proper job after haul-out next fall. Greg suggested that I repair it now before it gets any worse and becomes a major problem. This means I must drop the rudder and get it dried out properly. He suggested using a vacuum pump. I hope to get started later today, and will write again if I have problems dropping the rudder. By the way, I posted a small story about PoliGlow at my website listed below. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

B

Bil Thomas Feng Shui

Rudder problems

I had the same problem as noted below. It is a common occurance on hunters. I did this repair in 1999/2000. When it was hauled for the winter 2000/2001 the rudder looked like new. Response to Bulge on rudder: Rudder Repair Submitted by Bil Thomas Feng Shui on 03/07 at 05:34PM regarding General_interest I have a '88 335 which had a bulge on the port side that ran 2/3 the length of the rudder. The foam is covered with glass mat and it just seperated from the foam. While the boat is in dry dock for the the winter I cut the buldge out and ground the skin back until a solid contact between the skin and core was found. Then let it dry. After drying I came back and rebuilt the area back up to the orginal contour using expoy and glass weave. Faired it back and then sealed the area and repainted. Additionally, the leading edge was splitting. This was repaired at the same time using glass tape overlapping the leading edge an flowing to either side. I used 3 layers of the tape/expoy to create a new leading edge. It is not difficult nor very expensive. When the boat was hauled this year the rudder looked like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.