Rudder Post Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad

I am getting some slow leakage from the rudder post in my 1982 Hunter 33. The water is collecting at the base of the post and in the bilge under the engine. It seems to be worse underway... any suggestions as to cause or solution?

T

Terry Arnold

rudder post leaking

I have the same problem. The boat squatting at the stern at hull speed would increase pressure at the nut making it leak more underway. Prop wash may also increase the pressure. The nut at the top of the rudder post housing is a packing nut and theoretically should be adjustable similar to the shaft stuffing box except it is insanely inacessible and perhaps frozen and rusted. Sam Lust has a number of postings earlier this year on the sinking hazard involved since the packing nut is very close to water level. He also outlines his replacement of the nut which he did with the fuel tank out of the boat.

S

Sam Lust

Rusty Nuts

I hate it when that happens! Mine was seized on so tight It wouldn't budge with a 2 foot pipe wrench. Finaly got it off with an air chisel. Because of the material and the way it was machined the land was rusted through. Hunter has no drawings or any information at all on this part. I had one machined by Buck Algonquin in Delaware for $60.00. (They make stuffing boxes for boat makers like Hunter.) I can't find the phone number right now but I think I got it from M & E Marine Supply. e-mail me if you need help or more info. samlust@monmouth.com

Status
Not open for further replies.