Rudder Post Grease Fitting?

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Hello All, and yet another question.
In my 83 O'day28 I have the standard Edson chain and cable steering. I'm trying to find a zerk fitting somewhere so I can grease the rudder post. I thought I saw a reference in a past post that such a thing exists but I can't find it - either that old post or the fitting. I don't know if there was one and it broke or rotted off or if it never existed. I don't see one shown in Edson literature. Does anyone have any information?
As always, Thank you all. This group has been a savior.
Bob

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have an 1988 O’Day 322 and my rudder post looks like this:

IMG_2936.jpeg IMG_2935.jpeg

You can see a grease zerk on the upper part of the tube. There is a similar one on the lower part of the tube.

I don’t think we would see this on an Edson drawing as the tube is not part of their system (nor is the shaft).

It takes some boat yoga for me to get in there and inspect the area. I was adding a rudder sensor for my AP, so crawled in through the lazzarette to get some photos. I was also curious if I had room on the shaft to add a tiller arm for a linear below-deck AP drive.

Greg

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Greg - YES thank you. I found a brown rusted nub (attached) that I wondered about but couldn't identify...My setup not nearly as nice as yours. That should just be threaded in?
Thanks again.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg - YES thank you. I found a brown rusted nub (attached) that I wondered about but couldn't identify...My setup not nearly as nice as yours. That should just be threaded in?
Thanks again.
I am guessing that there is a zero under that rust. Maybe carefully wire brush it and see what is left of the verk.

if it is toast, I think that it is just threaded into the fiberglass rudder tube.

Greg

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Hey Bob_S, why does yours look like it's pregnant? Careful, you might end up with twin rudders!!!!!!!