rudder post and tube lube

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
I dropped my rudder for maintenance on my 82 O'day 30 and I'm wondering what grease/lube was used. There are no bearings on this boat so its just the post against the tube, and the right grease is real important. Previous grease was gray, stiff, waterproof, very sticky, only removable with solvent. Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Golden Road Practical Sailor did a study of grease and reported it in their magazine. It might be of help to you to search their records. You want one that will not wash out when exposed to water.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I dropped my rudder for maintenance on my 82 O'day 30 and I'm wondering what grease/lube was used. There are no bearings on this boat so its just the post against the tube, and the right grease is real important. Previous grease was gray, stiff, waterproof, very sticky, only removable with solvent. Thanks
No specific recommendation on the grease but what was the procedure for dropping the rudder? How much work was it?
Thanks

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It was recommended (somewhere) and I have used teflon trailer hitch grease - very slippery and long lasting.
To Richard: I just dropped the rudder on my 35 and did it previously on my Catalina 30, it's pretty straightforward, the first problem being: do you have enough vertical space to lower it so that the rudder shaft clears the hull. For the Catalina, I dug a hole. For the O'Day, I'm parked on asphalt so digging wasn't an option - the boatyard just jacked up the stern of the boat (only needed about 4 inches in my case). Before dropping it, you need to access the steering quadrant and remove it from the rudder shaft. On my boat, you have to remove the liner in the port rear lazarette and then you have a good view of the quadrant. Put a jack under the rudder, disconnect the steering cables from the quadrant, remove the bolts holding the quadrant halves together, push out the bolt that goes through the quadrant and the rudder shaft and then remove the quadrant halves (may need to pry a bit). At this point, your rudder is ready to drop. In my case, someone had replaced the quadrant/shaft bolt with a stainless steel pin that was frozen in place - it took a lot of pressure to remove it, big mistake. If yours has a bolt, it shouldn't be too bad to remove. Make sure you use some corrosion inhibitor (Lanacote, Tef-gel) when you put it back together so it comes apart easily the next time. The photo below shows an O'Day 35 quadrant: the yellow circle marks one of the bolts that secures the steering cables, the red circles mark the bolts that keep the quadrant halves together and the green circles mark the center bolt that goes through the quadrant and the rudder shaft.
o35_quadrant.jpg

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Not too intimidating, true, but in a really awkward place to get access. Upside-down in a cramped corner. I've done it twice.