Rudder options for O'Day 22

May 3, 2015
Oday O'day 22 MH Terrace BC, Canada
Are there any options for the rudder, swing up is what I'm thinking about.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
What model year is your 22? If 1972-78, why change to a kick-up rudder? The standard fixed rudder doesn't go deeper than the keel and so a kick-up rudder seems pointless and just adds complication. For the 1979-83 models, a kick-up rudder does kind of seem beneficial, why O'DAY kept the fixed-depth rudder on the 22 when they changed to the K/CB design seems strange to me. I'd start looking at what other similar-size boats have for kick-up rudders and try to design and build one that best suits the O'DAY 22 transom and underbody. I have pictures of the optional kick-up rudder for the O'DAY 20, that may be a good place to start.

Attachments

May 3, 2015
Oday O'day 22 MH Terrace BC, Canada
The rudder seems to extend below the keel about six inches. in the shallows of the lake I sail on it's come off the pintels twice, once into the blades of the outboard it now sports a divot on the starboard side that I have to repair at some point. This rudder seems to be made entirely of chopped fibreglass, there has been no wood or other core material exposed so far...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I would say if you wanna keep hitting things with your rudder, then a kickup rudder sounds like a good idea. Maybe you should pin those pintels after you get the kickup, so your rudder doesn't fly off anymore. That sounds stressful! Maybe a depth finder too? That way, you could set an alarm to keep your rudder off the bottom. The depth finder might even be cheaper than the kickup kit?

Thanks,

Andrew

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Tie a safety line to your rudder if you havn't all ready. Strong pinning of the pintles will just insure you will damage the gudgeons/transom when you run aground. Kick back rudders will usually be a bigger problem for prop damage, not less. As said before: you need to rely on a depthfinder and not run aground or problems will ensue. If you remake your rudder for kickup be sure to install a stop on the motor side so it won't hit the prop.
Hope this helps, Chief