Rudder on a H36

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
So my rudder stuffing box is leaking continuously, I've cinched it up all I can and it still leaks underway so I guess I need to repack the stuffing box. I also need to attach a tiller arm for the new autopilot I am putting in, which will require somehow getting a bit more space between the quadrant and the stuffing box.

My question is, has anyone else repacking the stuffing box and taken pictures? Is dropping the rudder simple? I plan to do this while hauled out, as I have to install a paddle wheel transducer and redo my antifouling anyway.

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
My boat is presently hauled at a marina for this very task (repacking the rudder post). Above 5.5 kts she leaks pretty good from the post. I'll try to get some info from the folks and let you know what I learn. I just didn't have the time to attempt this myself this year. To replace the rubber hose I'm fairly certain the rudder needs to be dropped. Hopefully they'll be getting to it this week.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
My boat is presently hauled at a marina for this very task (repacking the rudder post). Above 5.5 kts she leaks pretty good from the post. I'll try to get some info from the folks and let you know what I learn. I just didn't have the time to attempt this myself this year. To replace the rubber hose I'm fairly certain the rudder needs to be dropped. Hopefully they'll be getting to it this week.
I just finished this. Once I figured out how to drop the rudder it wasn't that tough, the biggest problem is access is pretty limited - though not completely unreasonable once you remove the top plywood. More details here