Rudder is hiting bottom of boat and only steers to port

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harrisg

I just picked up a 1979 Lancer 25 in Portland, OR and brought it home to Kalama, WA. The problem is, the rudder appears to hit the bottom on one side so I used the outboard to get her back up north. This was on the Columbia River. What I want to do is get her up on a trailer and grind the top corner off the rudder where it hits and put a fiberglas patch over the place that was ground. I'm not a purest and just want a funcional, economical fix. Anyone done this?

B

Brian D

If the rudder is hitting the boat

That is not what is suppose to happen. The rudder post might be bent. I am not familiar with the how the rudder is mounted in the 25. But I would have the boat hauled and then check to see what is wrong. Don't grind until you can verify that the rudder post is not bent.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Definitely

was not designed to be anywhere near the hull if the post isn't bent. Where is it hitting? What kind of sailing do you plan to do? If you plan on doing any cruising I'd fix it. Otherwise, if you are willing to risk it and have a tiller on your outboard you can probably wing it and limp home if it snaps. Personally I'd pull the rudder and rig something up to bend it back.

Jun 25, 2006
-Morgan 323 Port of Everett Marina
Rudder hitting

I hit my rudder this year during a race and bent the shaft. I had the boat hauled and pulled the rudder off and got it straigtened. We layed the rudder down under a car hoist with the bent part of the shaft facing up. Lowered the hoist to hold the rudder in place, heated the shaft at the bend and used a larger pipe over the outside to pull it back where it belonged. Rudder has never been so smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.