Rudder hitting bottom of Hull

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
When I was in the Islands this year I checked the position of the rudder when I was underwater. I had my wife turn the wheel all the way to port then all the way to starboard. I noticed that the back part of the rudder hit the bottom of the hull. I didn't check if the rudder stop was all the way over. It appeared that the rudder did go as far as it should. Has anyone also noticed this.

Thanks,
Mark
Hull# 57
Sweet Pea

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Mine Hull#52 does that also. This was discussed once prior, as there seems to be no rudder stop installed. Owners on the site have posted two (2) different versions of stop. A cable type, and the one I am more familiar with from past Catalina Ownership the stud with rubber hose around it. As I said mine has neither, the hull is my stop.

Russ
s/v Long Story

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
I do have a rudder stop which is wire cable with thimbles and adjustable clamps. I just don't think this is a normal installation that the rudder can actually touch the bottom of the hull. I will search and check out the other postings of this situation.

Thank,
Mark
S/V Sweet Pea

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I do have a rudder stop which is wire cable with thimbles and adjustable clamps. I just don't think this is a normal installation that the rudder can actually touch the bottom of the hull. I will search and check out the other postings of this situation.

Thank,
Mark
S/V Sweet Pea
Mark,

This sounds like you need to adjust your rudder stop cable.

If you look at the picture I attached you can see that the rudder top is higher in the rear and that the hull slops up towards the stern in this section. So the rudder would hit the hull if the stops are not adjusted correctly.

I would try taking up on the wire to just before it hits the hull.

Good luck

Jesse

Attachments

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I have the same problem on haul 104. This is a new problem the last two years. I looked at the cable that is suppose to stop the travel of the rudder before it hits the haul but can't say it makes a lot of sence to me that it has some how stretched enough to allow this to happen. I plan to take another look at it.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Steel cables will stretch but most likely there would have been some slippage in the way the wires were terminated. It also could have been setup wrong from the beginning by the factory.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Catalina went through several iterations of rudder stops on the 310

At first, my March 2001 Hull #147, had single light cables on each side to mounting points under the swim platform deck. I *****ed about how flimsy it was and they upgraded to a heavier cable yoke with anchor points on the vertical bulkhead of the swim platform.
The next time I had it in to clear the extensive defect list, they went to the rubber bumper on the same anchor post with wooden stop blocks bolted and glassed to the upper bearing tub.

The rudder design on the 310/320 makes it amazingly maneuverable since the rudder will turn 80-85*. I can turn my boat in its own length and keep doing figure skater twirls under power if I wish. Few non sport boats can do that.
The penalty of course is that if you are backing and let the wheel get away; it will come up HARD against whatever stops you have. With either of the cable systems if you will stretch/break the wire and hit the hull. Hard enough and you can bend the rudder post. Even with the blocks you will ultimately break something. Any boat will do that, but the additional 30-40* on ours magnifies the load remarkably

I love the Captain Ron maneuverability and you just need a firm grip on the wheel...
Peter