Rudder Gland - S37

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gord

The bronz packing gland on my 37 turns with the rudder and leaks. Before launch this year I will drop the rudder and clean and replace the gland. What do you suggest I use to glue it in place? Would 3M 5200 work. Is there another bonding agent I should use? Gord Zimmerman, Lady Simcoe

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Wish I could be of help

Wish I could be of help Gord, but I am getting close to being in the same place as you. Will be pulling the boat soon, for bottom job, cutlass bearing and any necessary rudder repair. A bronze bushing, I would think, should press fit and need no adhesive, other than a sealer. But I haven't seen one, so that is guessing on my part. Is there any possible way to put a set screw in there, to hole it in place, and keep it from turning. And last but not least, is there anywhere you know of to get a diagram of the entire rudder assy. for this boat.

G

Gord - Lady Simcoe

Rudder Gland Leaking

Don't think a set thru the fg ruddder tube would hold may have a collar made then I can put 3 or 4 bolts thru to the rudder gland. Has any one had to deal with this problem. Have lived with it for ever. Even went crusing for 2 years on Lady Simcoe with this silly leak. About a gallon every hour sailing. You can see the whole gland rotate when the rudder is turned. Will pull the rudder out any way plan on heading to the Bahamas next winter. Gord Z.

Nov 11, 2005
- - Galena, MD
Rudder packing and bearing info

Gord, I think this is what you are looking for. Edsen has a lot of good info on the rudder packing installation in their catalog. It not as clear but you can also find it online, see attachment. http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/planning/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf Edsen shows epoxying the packing gland in place. 5200 is a very good adhesive but in either case the parts must be clean. I would also file or lightly grind (Demel tool)vertical grooves in the gland for a better bite to keep the gland from rotating in the post. Note when adjusting the packing tighten down the three bolts a little on each bolt working around the post to pull down evenly. If the gland is cocked it could bind on rudder post and tear the gland loose. I like to use the PTFE Flax packing because the teflon will not dry out and provides a non-scoring surface thus does not wear as fast. Good luck and keep us posted. Skipper Fred

G

Gord

Steering Gland

Thanks Fred, As soon as the snow melts (maybe by June) I will get at this project. Have checked out the edson site thanks. I am replacing the cabin top traveller as well since the shives and car have deterioated cracked and need replacing. Using a Lewmar system. Then I will tackle the interior. I have done a couple of bulk heads. Both the Port & Starboad forward ones. The old boat is in good condition just needs a little more TLLC. Will keep intouch Gord Z, Lady Simcoe

L

Lady Simcoe

I hope I fixed my problem. I undid the packing ring (3 Bolts) picked out the old packing. cleaned the rudder shaft and slowly pried up the bronze packing gland until it was cleare of the tube. Picked out all the old gland packing material (tedious job cramped dpwn that hatch). Finally had the gland sliding easily in and out of the ruddere tube and up and down the shaft. Next I mixed up some West Epoxie with the recommennded 404 "West" filler smeared it all around the bronze gland and stuffed it back into the rudder post. Messy job but had to be done. Let it set up and harden without moving the rudder for a couple of days. After seetting oiled and greased the rudder shaft then turned the rudder - the gland was very secure, installed new 3/8" teflon coated packing making sure the ends of the packing were cut on an angle. Finally bolting the packing gland cover in place. So far no leaks (Lady Simcoe back in the water last week) but have to go for a sail b4 I will know if the fix is good.

Nov 11, 2005
- - Galena, MD
Rudder packing

Sounds good Gord, Hope the packing is leak free now, I like to hear or see a happy ending. Fair winds, Skipper Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.