Rudder Craft Rudders

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Hi There !
I have a 1989 Catalina 22 Wing Keel with a 5 year old Rudder Craft Rudder system. The RC rudder gave my boat power steering andI love that about it.
When My boat comes out of the water it get's a complete inspection.
Here is what I've learned in the past 5 years though.
1) PROBLEM ; The Pintles are not very well engineered. The welding between the Pin and the L bracket cracks due to poor design. The last inspection a few day's ago found the 2nd cracked pintle.
I called RC and alerted them to the issue.They remembered having the same discussion a year ago. The shop never did anything to correct the issue.
At first I was told I would have to pay for a new part but when I told them it was still within the 6 year warranty they said they would send me one for free.
SOLUTION ; Inspect Pintles every 6 months
2) PROBLEM : They supply a small cotter pin that slips into a slot in the base of pin but if the cotter pin fall out it's lost.
SOLUTION : I created a lanyard to keep from loosing the cotter pin.
3)The Mast crutch.They make slide up to extend it for stepping the mast. Their design uses thin walled diameter round tube that slides up and down into a larger square tube.
PROBLEM : Once you have the crutch extended up it becomes very weak. If you roll your mast back and forth while stepping it bends the round tube so it won't slide back down.
SOLUTION : I make tie downs that go down from the top of the crutch and out at an angle and tie around the stern pulpit. Like baby stays.
All and all I still really like the system

Attachments

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Wow , from the supplied photo it appears the pintle isn't very robust at all . When desiging a mast crutch for our Oday 25 ,I found it didn't take much height to make the telescoping function to appear weak at all . Ours now is connected to the rear pulpit in addition to the grudgeons .

Mar 2, 2018
Hi Timm, The RC mast crutch slides into making sqaure tube slots that are part of the main rudder post. I'd like to see a photo of what yours looks like.

Mar 2, 2018
Thanks for that contact Timm, One thing I know is One Off parts are very expense to product.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I use 80/20 during the course of my job. I have lot's of it from previous projects that my employer lets me take home .
There really isn't anything you can't make with it . If this wasn't an option ,I'd definitely use inch and a half square perforated tubing . Inside of that would be one inch square perforated square tubing . That way you could stop anywhere in the crutch raising /lowering and just insert a pin threw the holes .