Rudder collar assembly

Nov 1, 2020
Hunter 27 Annapolis
I have a 78 Hunter 27 and I'm trying to figure out the upper rudder assembly.

The rudder post come out in front of the rear wet locker and has a square teak trim around its exit point into the cockpit. There is some plastic collar or bushing that is crumbling around the shaft that is held together with a tension band and tape.

Below that collar there is a screw that goes though the shaft that has a washer on either end placed wide enough to be held tight around the collar. These washer make direct contact with the teak and have been carving a circle into the wood as the rudder shaft turns.

This can't be right configuration. I've seen other post suggest the plastic collar should test directly on the teak, as some kind of bushing. I'm wondering if that means the screw that goes through the shaft should ride on top of the collar, or should be drilled through the collar.

Can anyone show me how this is supposed to be installed, or describe how these pieces are supposed to work together, and if anything is missing?

Attachments

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Hmm, my '81 with wheel steering looks like this, has the pin through the bushing, which was replaced in 2013 or so. I don't remember the type of plastic that Chip used, but I could ask. It rides right on the fiberglass, I never had a teak plate of any kind here, possibly they changed the configuration over time.
Did you try Google advanced search? Google Advanced Search, Sailboat Owners Forums as the domain or site

RudderPost-9012.jpgRudderPost-9013.jpg

Nov 1, 2020
Hunter 27 Annapolis
Yeah. Definitely looks like a different configuration, but the mechanism looks similar. I'm maching a piece of Delrin to see if I can make that work.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Definitely looks like a fix from a prior owner. The only part I recognize from or ‘77 h27 is the teak pad. I can’t remember detail of our set-up, which appears to be original. I’ll look for pictures. (We are 2.5 hours from our boat.)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The retaining ring that holds up the rudder is a tough plastic ring with a bolt through it, and the shaft of the rudder. Not a lot of downward pressure on it in the water because the rudder has some buoyancy. Looks like yours fell apart and, as I said, the P.O. cobbled together a fix.

You need some way to hold up the rudder from the bottom, then I would take the whole mess apart. I think you will end up with the original design - a single bolt through a plastic ring and the rudder post. Simple, and it works fine. Might want to replace the teak pad while you are at it. That would be pretty simple - just 4 screws under the plugs.

We have sailed our Lady Lillie over 8,000 nm through 21 seasons now. For us, she is the perfect cruising boat! We have never been afflicted with “2 foot-itus” although we have chartered larger boats more than a dozen times.

Jul 26, 2020
Hunter 27 Pepin, Wi
Any photos of your completed repair or details? I have a similar yet different issue on my 78 h27. the teak pad is falling apart and I’m looking to repair/replace it with either another hardwood or synthetic pad while preparing for the ‘21 season.

Nov 1, 2020
Hunter 27 Annapolis
Sorry, not yet. Waiting to pull the boat to avoid dropping the rudder. My teak plate is continuous; no gap. I'm not too worried about it with the new delrin collar that will only rub lightly against the teak's highest profile sections