Rudder Bearings on 340

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patty Cherone

We recently discovered that the rudder bearing(s) on our 2000 - 340 may be worn. The boat is going to be hauled next week to be check and to also check on the rudder tube. Has anyone else experienced this with their 340 or any other Hunter that is fairly new? We asked if this was something common with this boat and were told NO!...I'd like to here it from you guys. By the way, with the 5 year hull warranty Hunter will pick up the full tab.

A

Alan Eaton

Rudder Sleeve Repair

I bought a 1999 Hunter 340 last June. The boat was used primarily as a place to stay and had only been sailed 5 or 6 times with only 50 hours on the engine. During the survey (at the Boat Yard in MdR), the rudder was found to have excessive free-end and moved up

W

Warren

What are the sympoms?

I'm curious as to the symptoms of the problem you experienced with the rudder. We just bought a used 340 and have noticed a "knock" in the wheel at certain times while under sail.

J

John

How did you find this?

I have a 2000 340. I have not noticed any performance problems concerning the rudder. How did you find this problem?

J

Julian Sandford

Bearings

Onmy 1999 310 I had the same Knock, usually with a following sea. Removed the rudder and found about 1.5" play at the bottom. Pulled the bearings and Hunter replaced. BIG problem is that the stainless bearers are NOT marine grade,( try them on yours with a magnet) and had pitted badly. They are also not round. Hunter refused to admit the problem by saying they had had no previous reports of it. I reckon in 4-5 years they will be gone and we all have a problem.

W

Warren

Bearings issue

Interesting Julian, I guess we won't know about the possibility of the extra "play" in the rudder until we haul our boat for winter storage and check her over. I'm curious, since we just recently purchased the boat, I'm not sure how the rudder is mounted. When you removed the rudder you noticed the play in what part? Is there a rudder shaft that's separate from the rudder itself?

P

Patty Cherone

FOLLOW-UP ON THE RUDDER BEARING PROBLEM

WE SUSPECTED A PROBLEM WHEN WE HEARD A CLUNKING WHEN IN VERY LIGHT AIR. THE AUTOPILOT WAS HAVING TROUBLE AT CERTAIN TIMES HOLDING COURSE. I REMOVED THE ACCESS PLATE UNDERNEATH THE HELMSEAT AND SWUNG THE WHEEL TO SEE IF THERE WAS ANY PLAY IN THE RUDDER AT THE TOP BEARING. I NOTICED WHAT SEEM TO BE EXCESSIVE PLAY IN THE TOP BEARING AND IMMEDIATELY CALL H

Status
Not open for further replies.