Rudder Bearing and Steering Quadrant

Oct 29, 2022
Hunter Legend 40.5 Jacksonville
Hi there, we are replacing our lower rudder bearing on a Legend 40.5, however when lifting the steering quadrant the top of the upper bearing looks worn, is there supposed to be a bushing or spacer there between the bearing and quadrant? (It looks as though they had put some kind of epoxy there before that has worn).

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you can share!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a 1997 h40.5. I have had about 3/32" of play in the lower bearing since 2003. It has not increased over the years and I was told by the Hunter factory and two Hunter dealers that some boats have a bit of play and others don't. They told me that if I don't feel the play in the wheel to just keep an eye on it and go sailing. They told me that the expected lifetime of the bearing is about 50 years with normal use.

So why do you need to replace the lower bearing?

In any event, attached are two drawings of the upper and lower bearings for the h40.5 and many of the other Hunter models. I hope this helps.

Attachments

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
So why do you need to replace the lower bearing?
You will find it very difficult or almost impossible to change the "bearings"

I have had about 3/32" of play in the lower bearing since 2003
:plus:

The boat side bearing are made from UHMW and glued to your boat.

The Rudder Side bearings are Stainless Sleeves, unless your boat has had Modifications, versus the Drawings shown by
@Rich Stidger

I am an expert on this issue.;)
Jim...

PS: Send me Private Message if you want a full discussion on your issue.

Oct 29, 2022
Hunter Legend 40.5 Jacksonville
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately those drawings are wrong and I cannot seem to find the correct drawing for it. Lower Bearing is already out and new one arrived yesterday. There are no stainless parts other than the rudder post. Figured out the upper bearing was damaged from the heat apply to getting the bolt off. The lower was damaged from barnacles getting up in it. Symptoms prior were not terrible before but could feel it in the wheel and turning hard over port the rudder stop would rub on the bottom also could wiggle the steering quadrant. I am no expert and any more advice is appreciated. At this point new bearing fits but seems lose( not installed in boat yet ) thanks again