Rubber shaft seal lube

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Spring commissioning has started and I want to lube the lip of the shaft seal. Seal is burped every so often during the season. Can I use a silicone waterproof grease? Or does someone have a better idea or is a special product required. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thanks guys!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Assuming that your shaft seal is an OEM / Volvo shaft seal that was installed by Beneteau, the recommended grease is Volvo shaft seal grease #828250. It can be purchased from Amazon as well as other suppliers. Fill a plastic "McDonalds" regular sized straw with the grease and insert one end under the lip of the shaft seal and extrude into the seal once a year.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I don't use anything? The seal is made by the carbon block against the shaft on a PSS Shaft Seal.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The old style PSS shaft seals needed to be burped, air would get into the bellows and block water from entering. The water helped keep the seal cool. Later models have tube that vents the bellows so water can flow in eliminating the need to burp it. The high speed seals used for power boats always had the vent.

No lubrication is needed for the seal.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Assuming that your shaft seal is an OEM / Volvo shaft seal that was installed by Beneteau, the recommended grease is Volvo shaft seal grease #828250. It can be purchased from Amazon as well as other suppliers. Fill a plastic "McDonalds" regular sized straw with the grease and insert one end under the lip of the shaft seal and extrude into the seal once a year.
Thanx Big Easy. Stuff is on order as we speak.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Weasel,
If your boat is on the hard, would be a good idea to check the stern tube cooling water nipple that is slightly aft of the rubber shaft seal. It’s epoxied to the top of the shaft tube. If your boat is in the water, I would wait until the next haul out before checking it; the nipple has been known to break.