Rub Rail Replacement

May 9, 2013
Catalina 310 Oyster Bay, NY
Toward the end of the summer we were rafted up with others to enjoy an afternoon barbecue. When a windy squall came up, boats started rocking and banging together. Now that Concerto is on the hard for the winter I see some major bends, crimps and distortions in the aluminum extrusion. A couple of feet of the rub rail insert is pulled out and does not want to go back in the slot, even with some heat applied. I would like to replace the entire rail (aluminum and vinyl insert).

Now for my question. The rub rail is fastened right where the deck meets the hull. Can the screws, (not bolts and nuts), be removed without compromising the deck to hull bond? I have found an "All Vinyl" rub rail which would be a perfect replacement, but I want to make sure the OEM aluminum rail is not holding the boat together before I consider removing it.

Any and all suggestions, advice and comments are welcomed. Take your time, I have all winter!!
Thanks in advance, Alan

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Alas, we're out for the long winter as well.

Removing the rub rail screws won't compromise the deck to hull joint integrity, BUT the old screw holes must be properly filled/sealed to maintain a watertight joint. Check carefully to make sure the fiberglass isn't compromised. The aluminum absorbed and spread the impact forces that the vinyl couldn't handle. If you go with all vinyl rail, your fiberglass may be more exposed to impact rather than the aluminum rail.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
For future raft ups: lots of big fenders, at least 8x26”, (buy the ones with a lifetime guarantee when they’re on sale at WMP), and use line that stretches-nothing worse than Spectra or old jib sheets for that job.

We had a raft up Saturday, and get to sail all winter long. Sorry....

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You can get the rub rail holder and filler from Catalina Direct to match the factory installed rail.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
For future raft ups: lots of big fenders, at least 8x26”, (buy the ones with a lifetime guarantee when they’re on sale at WMP), and use line that stretches-nothing worse than Spectra or old jib sheets for that job.

We had a raft up Saturday, and get to sail all winter long. Sorry....
We used to prefer the ball fenders (sometimes called tuna balls) for raft ups. They do better with different hull contours coming together.

This was a small raft up. We have had as many as 41 boats rafted together at this spot.
IMG_3663.JPG

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We used to prefer the ball fenders (sometimes called tuna balls) for raft ups. They do better with different hull contours coming together.

This was a small raft up. We have had as many as 41 boats rafted together at this spot.
View attachment 171513
I agree. The big power boat that anchored uses them (they‘re our race committee boat, so they also use them for small boat racing marks). If I had a place to easily store them on our boat I’d get some.

41 boats! That’s impressive.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
41 boats! That’s impressive.
We used to take over marinas with visits. A bunch of 20&30 year olds with boats rolling up with 30+ boats. Marinas would reserve whole sections. We would do that 2-3 times a year in different spots. It is a great group of people but we would drink heavy. I'm sure many of the locals didn't like it. One time we all ended up partying on the Wicked Tuna boats with their crews. Good times with the old L Dock crew.