Rub Rail on a 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

This past winter, while my boat was on the hard, the plastic trim piece that goes under the black rub rail popped out on a 5' section on the port side. I can put back into position, but it is loose and falls back out.

How do I properly attach it?

Thanks,
Barry

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
That plastic piece is supposed to be screwed to the hull as part of the top plastic as well. At least on mine, they are fiberglass, and the only way I have found is to replace it, check drmarine. They have the original rail setup.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
O'Day used stainless screws directly into the fiberglass to attach it. A very poor practice, you need to remove the black rubber strip to get at the screws underneath. Sounds like the screw holes stripped out, so the answer is to fill in the holes with epoxy, I suggest thickening with microfibers, then drill the holes to the right size pilot drill for the screw and then screw in the screws. Put back the black rubber and your back in business. The white piece is an extrusion and comes in 25 foot sections from Rudy at DR as previously mentioned. I replaced about a five foot section that fractured during haul out one year. I have the other 20 feet in the garage.
A much better way for O'Day to do this would be to mold in metal inserts and then use machine screws to hold the plastic strip. Doing it yourself this would be a good way to fix the holes since your labor is free. Drill out for an insert, put a screw in the hole with mold release and bond the insert in place with epoxy. Unscrew the screw and install the plastic strip and torque the screw into the insert. Should last the life of the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.