Rub Rail for O'Day 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Ute Vladimir

To start with, the model default does not have the 35'in it. When I bought 'Gone with the Wind' last year, two roughly 6" sections of the plastic that underlies and holds the rubber insert were broken, other parts of it were cracked and loose. So far, 5200 and heavy clamps have held it all together but I'd like to replace the whole thing with something sturdier - aluminum over teak comes to mind. Ideas or suggestions any of you may have would be welcome.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

TPI

TPI/J-boats offeres a good looking rubstrake on the new J-46. I don't know who makes the extrusion, but if I were you I'd call them and ask. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Don Evans

General Ramblings on Rubrails

This question, and lack of a good answer, has festered with me to long. Why can't the marine industry, or for that matter, some one with an engineers ingenuity and a sense of risk, invent something better? I mean we hope that a thin piece of rubber is going to protect our considerable investment from being crunched and scrapped when we inevitably miscue the dock landing or someone careens off our midsections. Yes bumpers do an admirable duty, but are not always available in an instants notice. What we need is an easily installed, cheap, tidy looking, sacrificial perimeter. Something that can retrofit on most boats. I should think that there would be a large market as our FRP boats are due for a rubrail replacement. Thanks for the forum to rant on one of my pet peeves. Don

H

Harlan Fredericksen

Rub Rail

I've replaced my rail ('83 O'Day 34) with the factory original. You'll get another 10+ years from it and the boat will look like original. While I've made a lot of upgrades with new hardware, more and bigger winches, teak and holly sole, etc. I think the boat looks best if kept close to original. Replacing the rail is pretty easy - only bending around the corners is tricky. Use a heat gun to soften the plastic and practice on a short piece first. You may be able to get the original rail from any number of suppliers but I went to Rudy at D&R in Assonet, MA as he knows O'Days the best. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.