Rub rail and deck hull joint.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I am about ready to tackle the run rail on my 26D. Since the trim insert is no longer available, and I have a section of the aluminum rail damaged, and I want to reseal the deck hull joint… I plan on replacing with a black vinyl rub rail from Taco. What would be best to seal the deck hull joint? I’ve seen in my research some use 5200, 4200, 4000 and then there is the Life caulk or Life seal. What do I need to use for the deck hull seam?

I am also thinking that after I place the rub rail I want to run a seam of sealant on the top and bottom edge of where the rub rail meets the hull. I know it’s not needed but I would like more layers of defense to keep the water out. What would be the best to seal this seam since the rub rail is vinyl?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
5200 is next to permanent and may never allow access to that area again without further damage. Good stuff for forever repairs.

4200 Is a bit more flexible and not nearly as permanent as the 5200 is. Good stuff for sealing seams and rebedding hardware. It has good durability as well. It would be my choice here.

4000 is a mixed bag from my research. It is supposed to be semi permanent like the 4200 with UV stabilization but I have read accounts on various places that it isn’t as durable as the 4200 and has even failed to hold after a few years, turning into a sticky non hardening goo.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
5200 for hull/deck joint would be my choice. Here's a WM advisor you should read if you haven't yet. How to Select Sealants and Caulk | West Marine

I would think something like 4200 would work for the vinyl section of rub rail.

Check the chart in the article... and.. as always... READ the LABEL.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I am still trying to plan how to attack this job. I may have found a source for the original insert and I am awaiting a sample. Not holding my breath.

If I do replace my rub rail I am looking at the TACO V11-0809BBK70-2. I know the original aluminum rub rail has bolts running through it, through the top side cap and the hull. Sandwiching everything together. My plan as of now is this..,
1. Unbolt and remove one section of aluminum rail at a time to keep the joint as stable a possible.
2. Clean and reseal the hull joint with 5200/4200. (haven't decided which yet)
3. Bolt the top side and hull back together without the rail, sealing each bolt as well
4. Installing the new rubber flexible rub rail with screws. Adding sealant to each screw hole as well.

Thoughts?

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I think I have found a proper replacement for my rub rail insert. Found this on eBay but i think many offer this rub rail insert.
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 5.31.20 PM.png

IMG_6664.jpeg

Problem is have a section of the aluminum rub rail that is pretty badly damaged.
IMG_6610.jpeg

I wanted to replace the entire system but I am now thinking that the Aluminum rub rail may be structural and that installing a rigid vinyl rail may not be the best idea. I have given up on the Taco system in place of Tessilmare Radial 40 system. It has an internal rail with a pvc rubber cover. The internal rail is made from Duralene? my search found this material is a LDPE which I have no idea if it will be rigid enough to be use in place of the Aluminum rail. I have a sample section coming so I can test the rigidity and compressibility of the plastic.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 2.47.40 PM.png

So my question for now is, Was the aluminum rail structural? Will removing the aluminum rail and replacing with a rigid "plastic" rail be ok or will i be loosing integrity in the boat?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
The rub rail hides the seam of the upper deck and hull. The Boat is made with 3 main pieces. The first is the hull, then hull liner and last the deck. The deck and hull were riveted and glued on my M25 and the rivets were hidden by the rub rail. The glue was very lightly used by the looks of it, but in all honesty I never tried to separate the two. I also had very little visible glue between the hull and liner. I think the only place there was an adequate amount was the bulkhead under the Vee berth.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
How long a piece of that aluminum extrusion do you need? i Have some from a MacGregor 22/25 that looks to be the same.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I pretty much ned to redo about 65% of my rail. It seems it lived life at a slip but took a good bit of dock rash to the rail. At this point I think I am going to just replace the entire thing. I do appreciate the offer.