Routing fuel line through transom

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
After moving my motor mount I have two holes left open. I'm using those to route my lines through the transom for my outboard. What fittings would you suggest to accomplish a clean installation? There's 1.5" of wood behind the fiberglass. Both holes are 1/2". I would prefer it if I didn't have to go much larger than 3/4"

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Take the fitting off one end of the hose, run the hose through one of the existing holes, and then put the fitting back on.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A fitting like this might work.

Or put some chafe protections around the hose (split wire loom works) and a little caulk to hold it in place.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I thought about using that exact style of fitting. The two things that stopped me were the size of the hole required and the fact that I have 1.5" of plywood to support the motor. After some thought I think I'm going to use a 3" brass pipe nipple, two elbows and two barbs. The elbows provide a female to female connection as well as reducing stress and chances of bashing the barb. I'll use RTV to seal the threads. I plan on sealing the pipe to the hull with 4200 and covering the outside barb with a clamshell vent such as the one below. As an added bonus I might be able to use VHB tape to hold the clamshell to the fiberglass
1596769976800.png

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Have you researched rubber grommets that are sized for the hole and fuel hose, Bond it into the transom hole with sealer. May have to modify the hole size in the transom and the hole size for the hose. Much “cleaner” than metal fittings, chafe proof, and waterproof. SBO store personnel may able to help or check out McMaster-Carr.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yes. Most are not UV stable and will disintegrate over time on a boat. I have used them without issue when running power cables through firewalls in cars and trucks