Routing Depth Finder Transducer Cable?

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
I am looking for advice on routing a depth finder's transducer cable. My initial thought was to run it internally through the pedestal, but there is not enough room to push the connector though. I thought of splicing it, but some googling does not recommend splices because of noise and shielding. Searching of some forums recommended going through the guard piping, but is this possible on a C30? I do not remember being able to access them from below. e.g. From the quarter berth. I thought seeing it from the pedestal made the most sense. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok. Before we go further lets identify the type of system you have and what you want to connect it to.

Some units allow you to input the data from the transducer into the network you have on board. Then you can get the data from another connected data link no need to run the transducer cable to the pedestal.

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
I originally purchased a Lowrance combined depth finder/chart plotter for a smaller sailboat. I installed it, it last a few hours and then died. Lowrance offered to repair or replace it with a newer unit. I chose replace. That replacement is a Hook2-5.

I plan on using the original depth transducer, which normally is transom mounted, but plan to shoot-through-hull. I want to have the head unit attached somewhere near the helm for navigating channels and marina.

I do have a Raymarine Autopilot, but no connection to it is required for my purposes. I am mainly interested in GPS/Charts and depth.

I assume at some later time, I may install a more comprehensive system, or update to a newer boat, whichever is cheapest! :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
OK HELPFUL INFO.
The unit has a proprietary cable between the display and the transducer. It has a sealed cable at the transducer and a special plug that supports the signals and power from display to transducer. There is a separate power cord that powers the display and the transducer.
1628543460997.png

You will need to push that plug through the boat from the transducer to the display. Cutting the cable is not advised as the plug connects to specific wires inside the display.

You are correct in that the lowrance unit does not speak to the Raymarine AP. It is like talking Greek to an English speaker.

I suspect that upgrading the electronics is cheaper than buying a new boat to a point.

Kind of depends on what type of electronics you want to buy.:biggrin: