Routing cables to nav station and beyond

May 9, 2023
Hunter 42 Passage CC CARRABELLE
Recent work was done to add an antenna to the mast, and additional cable for a new Radar unit. I managed to get these cables from the mast to the ventilation port (guess that's what it is) just above the nav station window. Unfortunately getting these cables to the nav station and beyond (ultimately the cockpit), is presenting quite a challenge!

The photos illustrate the problem. Getting the cable past the window and around the corners seems to be impossible. Has anyone tackled this, or must I resort to some cheap plastic cable channel glued to the boat?

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I managed to get these cables from the mast to the ventilation port (guess that's what it is) just above the nav station window.
Unable to provide any guidance on cable routing from the mast to the cockpit as I have never had to do that. I'm sure there is a way without sticking some unsightly cheap plastic conduit to the boat. Can you use one of the existing cables as a chase wire to pull your new ones through. VHF and wind speed cables come to mind, both of which end up in the cockpit.

Those, what you call ventilation ports, are access panels for mounting various deck hardware that are through bolted, e.g., winches, sheet stoppers, arches, etc.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Where do the other lighting cables from the mast go. On my 410 there are 2 routes/conduits to go down behind that electric breaker panel from my mast/ceiling access. My thought is the cable is coming out the wrong spot???
After I get behind that panel my cables go under the sole, past the batteries then under the helm and up.
Check your manual, there should be conduit diagrams but even so, it not a fun job.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Suggest that you Id which boat you have. Hunter installed chase tubes in the ceiling. Suggest you look in the owners manual but doubt you will see a reference for that. However, may I suggest going to the help desk here on the forum and ask for Joe Kerr as he.designed the electrical systems for Hunter Marine

May 9, 2023
Hunter 42 Passage CC CARRABELLE
Well, I tried everything. There are two conduits between the mast base (top of compression post) and the NAV station, and neither of these provides for free movement of the cables. I tried pulling one (to see if I might use the existing cable as a snake for the others), but apparently there are at least two 90 degree turns in the cable channel and I very much suspect that said cable exits one channel and enters another one, sans elbow. Pulling, pushing, grunting (plus expletives) just produced an even more jammed cable.

I *can* get cable across to the stay attachment inspection port above the NAV station, but from there, down, is impossible.

Buggered up!

So, I admitted defeat, and ran the needed cables down along the compression post, facing forward. I plan to cover the post with a nautical feel using anchor rode.. so this will effectively obscure the cables, and double as a hide for that ugly post.