Rough time/dangerous bridge ICW: Lake Worth/North Palm Beach

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Originally posted this deep in another thread, but thought I would edit it for errors and repost and open for comments and feedback. I certainly did not begrudge the large boaters for not slowing down. Even though the wakes are large and we rocked a lot. I still understood those things burn a lot of gas and, heck, I'm a sailboat and can take a wave or two. That wasn't the issue. I guess the biggest thing was people just continuing to push me on over and out-of-the-way. Lots of boats would approach me head on and then turn just a little at the last minute. Also, I had fists shaken at me during the really trafficy periods when I was trying to maneuver the boat safely waiting on the bridge operator. There was one absolutely horrendous bridge experience. It was the "something something" federal drawbridge. It was a bridge that opened upon request. I had already been through several bridges and sort of understood the technique. Also I realized that they do not like to hold the traffic longer than necessary so I call out at the earliest possible moment to request the opening. If I was told that they would open "as soon as possible" I would begin to motor forward to the bridge. I would watch for the gates to go down then power up fully trying to make the bridge crossing as rapidly as possible.. I followed the same procedures at the "something something" federal bridge just north of North Palm Beach. The boating traffic was exceptionally heavy at this point. However the "soon as possible" must not have actually met soon as possible because when I got within about 600 feet of the bridge the Gate had still not gone down! at this point I signaled to everyone around me that I was going to have to loop. I made a large circle being as careful as possible but still angered many of the boaters. When I came back around facing the bridge I was at about 500 feet away from the fendors of the bridge. Again the traffic was quite heavy and the Gate had still not gone down. So I throttle down to 1000 RPMs to try to keep a little water flowing over the rudder . Heading forward as slow as I could the traffic gates finally went down at about 200 feet outside of the fenders. Heavy heavy traffic. At this point I was moving very slowly. Lots of glares, shaking fist, and close boats with large wakes. five minutes passed. It seemed like 15. But still the bridge did not begin to open. I radio the bridge operator but got no reply. At this point I was stuck in heavy traffic. Again I had to do a loop. This time in side the fenders perimeter. And less than 25 feet from the bridge itself. The bridge was still not budging. This turnaround was sudden, and in heavy traffic but at this point I had absolutely no choice! While raking the bridge's fenders, damaging my outboard engine, and railing holding the solar panels I was able to get out and back up river. While attempting to maneuver back up river approximately one minute after getting turned around the bridge begin to open! mind you my Stern was still to the bridge at this point. So now the bridge was opening while my sailboat was pointed in the wrong direction. Shaking all over, I had to turn the boat in traffic to make it underneath the bridge. The bridge operator came on, upbraided me, and asked me to spell my name "very slowly". I ignored the request, thanked him for the opening and apologized for the trouble. What I really wanted to do was pullover, climb up the bridge and beat the living **** out of him. He knew exactly what he was doing. It may not be easy to tell from this description but the timing as I experienced it leaves no doubt. Unless he was sleeping up there. This is a rather long post and it was voice to text so I did not bother to scan it for voice to text errors, hopefully the idea gets through.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
WOW

We are so lucky here on the west coast of Florida as the bridge tenders
are very nice to us sailboaters any time we have traveled up or down the ICW
for sure.
Nick

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I failed to include that before I made the first loop I radioed the tender and asked if I should continue forward or hold my position. I got no reply, just silence.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Re: Rough time/dangerous bridge ICW: Lake Worth/North Palm B

Your post makes me very glad I have a large bay with no bridges as a sailing area.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake

Hello emergpa1, Sorry to hear of your harrowing experience. Were the other boats able to go under the lowered bridge and, therefore, did not need to wait like you did? Current and boat traffic are always a concern at bridges. I have limited experience, and as mentioned above we are blessed with skilled bridge tenders in SW FL.

Was the situation complicated by current into which you were facing? Downstream boats would be the give-way boats, I believe. Current would slow your travel, but might have made it possible to find a place to "park" facing into the current so you would be able to let other boats pass as you waited. I'm sure this is only "Monday morning quarterbacking", but just thinking. If you were being moved forward by a current you might try the "parking" maneuver using reverse gear. I have done that with some success, but again it requires room out of the flow of boat traffic.

Perhaps communication with the other boats would have defused some tempers. Sort of like TowBoatUS, SeaTow, and barge traffic might use......."to all concerned traffic in the vicinity of WXYZ bridge this is the sailboat ABCD with limited maneuverability......"

Phil

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
It gets crazy in south Florida. We've done the ICW from Texas to Georgia...both ways now. Were you the only one needing the bridge open?

Instead of doing 360's, try to hold your position in place. It just depends on how much wind and current you're dealing with. The power boat traffic sure complicates things, I know. Weekday travel days are much more relaxed than weekends. Call a mile out, but don't expect any action by the bridge tender until you get quite close. Timing is tough sometimes. Listen for the message over the VHF, that XYZ bridge is opening... Once the gates come down, I'm pretty close, and idling in neutral. Forward once the bridge starts moving.

Ralph
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sorry to hear about your story.

Also I realized that they do not like to hold the traffic longer than necessary so I call out at the earliest possible moment to request the opening. If I was told that they would open "as soon as possible" I would begin to motor forward to the bridge.

ASAP usually means the traffic, not the boats.

I often do four bridges in a half hour span. I aim for slack, but then stem the current if there is one.

Rarely other boaters, though.

If I were there, I wouldn't be looking at them shaking their fists, I'd be busy with MY boat.

Better luck next time.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Here's a picture I found on this forum that I copied. It I s a good description.
Thank you for sharing my picture, That is what it looks like almost every weekend here. However so far the bridge tenders have been very good to us.

Last weekend, we had an engine failure at sea, and needed Tow Boat US to get back to the dock. We managed to make all three bridges without incident under tow.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014

Lake worth bridge, and a couple of other Palm Beach county bridges are On-Demand openings, but most of the bridges south of there in Broward county are on a posted schedule. Some are on the hour and 1/2 hour, and some are on the 1/4 and 3/4 hour depending on spacing. At about six knots you can hit them all in a row without much waiting.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
We just did the ICW south and north and I have to say first that we had no real problems but the least friendly operators were in the lake worth Palm beach area. We had to get through two bridges that are both on scheduled openings and with our hull speed we could make it from one to the other within the interval without waiting for the second bridge. We called the first 5 minutes before the scheduled opening on ch 9 but no answer. We continued to hail them even after the time had come and gone for the opening. The second bridge operator answered and suggested we call via cell which we did. It turns out he changed the channel on his VHF and never heard us hailing him. He did goto 9 and we continued to communicate and he opened the bridge for us 10 minutes late which I am sure pissed off quite a few motorists. So this turned out fine. The problem was at the second bridge that we could not make in time and had to wait 30 Minutes for his next opening. The operator knew why we were late and we actually would have been at the bridge by the time he stopped traffic and opened the bridge. But he refused to open for us unless we were there at the bridge at the exact time he was scheduled for. Of course this screwed us up for all the other bridges we needed to do that day that were either scheduled on the hour or half hour. At one point we were motoring at 2 knots to keep from arriving at a bridge too early.

After transiting this area I would consider a ban on sport fisherman. The rudest, most inconsiderate group of boaters I have ever encountered. I would take 2 pWCs for every sport fisherman out there.

BTW, we skipped the section between Fort Worth and Fort Lauderdale which has 21 bridges.

Jan 6, 2010

EM,

We all shared your pain at one time or another pal.

Based on your tale of woe, I have some suggestions that might help to avoid future problems. I thought you did too many maneuvers & speed changes & got too close to the fenders.

Try this approach next time. Importantly, after hailing the bridge, keep a steady speed. Hopefully the bridge tender can use this to time his opening. Don't change your speed if you can. Don't call him too early when too far out or late when close in. keep to your side of the channel closer to the edge to give passing boats ample room instead of close quarters where possible.

When you pass the idle speed marker & have to wait, go outside the channel & do slow figure eights or circles. Most ICW bridges have deep enough water just outside the channel. If not sure, ask the bridge tender on your first hailing.

This way, you are close to the bridge until it opens & then quickly thru. You can also use the tide current using idle forward while feathering back-n-forth to neutral. Sometimes this allows you to stay in-place. I find this to be much easier especially with alot of traffic goin on.

Another thing, bridge tenders are DOT workers. I believe they have little or no training on sailboat limitations and/or currents/water conditions. In my area most are good, other areas, I've also had problems with some. Remember, most ICW bridges are timed & not on demand like safe harbor bridges. Check for opening times in advance to plan your run.

CR

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We do lots of bridges on the ICW in Florida. We try to time them so we arrive just before the opening time unless it is an open on demand. Circling close in front of the bridge is not a good idea. A sailboat is usually better off letting the fast boys go ahead. If there is strong current the upstream guys should go first, this is arranged over the VHF, by the captains. The bridge tenders do not advise who should do what or when, the captains are responsible for the boats and should arrange it over the vhf. The tenders do advise to stay well back until the bridge opens all the way. It is good training to learn to "hover" the vessel in one spot against wind and current without circling. If we have to wait 20 minutes for an opening we will turn around and run 10 minutes away from the bridge and then 10 minutes coming back, then hover well off until it opens. We did the same thing when we had a 26 ft sailboat.

good luck, Bob

here we are doing an ICW bridge with our H260,
https://picasaweb.google.com/macsailor/StuartFlToTheKeys#5443479867383592498

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA

Captnron has the right idea. We recently transited the ICW from Bradenton to Ft Myers, probably at least 10 bridges, and without exception the bridge tenders were professional, courteous, even outright friendly.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Crazy

The east coast ICW of Florida is way more busy than our west coast Florida
and yes power boaters are always trying to pass us sailboats and will cut you off when ever they can and have had them do it to me at some bridge openings
after been waiting and circling and waiting and than the power boat jump ahead.
But don't ever get too close to the bridge while waiting.
Nick

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
It is good training to learn to "hover" the vessel in one spot against wind and current without circling. If we have to wait 20 minutes for an opening we will turn around and run 10 minutes away from the bridge and then 10 minutes coming back, then hover well off until it opens. We did the same thing when we had a 26 ft sailboat.

good luck, Bob

here we are doing an ICW bridge with our H260,
https://picasaweb.google.com/macsailor/StuartFlToTheKeys#5443479867383592498
Bob,

I agree hovering is easier than circling, however you still need to have a way out. Several weekends ago we were hovering about 200 yards from the 14th street bridge in Pompano awaiting a scheduled opening. A 100'+ yacht with a large drunken party going on onboard, cut in front of us, and then started to back down on us. I had to throw it in reverse, gun it, and spin to avoid a collision.

Keep your options open. You have no control over what the other idiots around you are going to attempt.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Bob,

I agree hovering is easier than circling, however you still need to have a way out. Several weekends ago we were hovering about 200 yards from the 14th street bridge in Pompano awaiting a scheduled opening. A 100'+ yacht with a large drunken party going on onboard, cut in front of us, and then started to back down on us. I had to throw it in reverse, gun it, and spin to avoid a collision.

Keep your options open. You have no control over what the other idiots around you are going to attempt.
Good points. I'm sure you have more experience with this than I do. I'm only sharing what I've learned and works for me. I tend to stay further away while waiting for the opening. I've never heard anything negative from a bridge tender because a boat was too far back, only when they are too close to the aprons. I keep an airhorn by the helm and have used it on a few occasions. I does usually get their attention. Once it was to wake up a bridge tender that was not answering the VHF with 3 boats calling for an opening :D.
I think maybe we are too concerned about how long the cars have to wait and this has caused sailboats to get caught in a strong current and carried under the bridge before it was fully open.
Bob

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl

I've waited for a bridge, w/ bow facing the current, and stern and towards the bridge to maintain position.

When it opened, I spun 180 around to go through. -outboard reverse wasn't up to maintaining position in current.

The Tonnage rule, is in effect on the ICW...

it helps if you're boat isn't the nicest, most expensive yacht, And it doesn't look like you can afford to pay for damages.