Rope vs. Chain (ugh another anchor thread)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Following is part of a text thread I had with another catamaran owner who wanted to keep the boat light. However, this person is out cruising and is spending a lot of time on the hook in The Bahamas. I understand why people wish to save weight, but this might have gone very differently. A cruiser who sleeps on the hook has different concerns than a racer/day sailor. Even if you don't cruise near coral or sharp rocks there is also a concern about bottom debris.

The person's rode parted at about 4:00AM after the light wind shifted and rose to about 25kt. They were anchored in about 7-10 ft depth of (what appeared to be) sandy bottom.
My texts are italicized, the other person's texts are not:

Just curious, did your rope get cut by something on the bottom or did it chafe where it went through your roller?
Also, curious to know how you were able to get your secondary anchor deployed in time? The lee shore was close.

I am nearly certain it caught and chafed through on something on the bottom when we spun around in the wind shift. The cut was about 25 feet from my boat.
My second anchor was sitting on the bow roller on my port side. I got the motors on and we dropped the second anchor within a minute.
My anchor alarm didn’t go off. I was still in the radius, incredibly.
Thankfully there was a loud pop and the boat lurched when the rode snapped. That made me leap out of bed.
I have only 25 feet of chain…just yesterday I was saying I wanted more chain. This is why!

Wow! You are so lucky that you were quick like that.

Yes. I’ll be upgrading to MORE chain, for sure.
I got lucky this time.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
If they were in 7-10', then likely ~50' of rode out, so a break ~25' from the boat and a rode with 25' of chain, sounds like it is possible the rope/chain interface broke. In light winds in that shallow of water, this connection point would be dragging around on the bottom.

Mark

Jun 14, 2010
If they were in 7-10', then likely ~50' of rode out, so a break ~25' from the boat and a rode with 25' of chain, sounds like it is possible the rope/chain interface broke. In light winds in that shallow of water, this connection point would be dragging around on the bottom.

Mark
Interesting hypothesis, Mark.
I hope people get the lesson conveyed - If you sleep aboard or leave your boat on anchor you should have enough chain to reach your snubber (or at least enough to keep the rope well off the bottom) in the depths you anchor in.
For most people that’s at least 50 ft to 100 ft as a minimum (depth dependent to allow at least 7:1 scope). It’s NOT “one foot for each foot of boat length” or any other formula that’s not related to depth/freeboard/scope. (Of course, all-chain is best for cruisers.)

Jun 14, 2010

Mark
FYI. They just reported back that the break was about 20 ft from the spice. They were able to recover the anchor and chain.