Rope or line over my dinette table

Mar 5, 2014
Hunter 33.6 Montral - Pointe-Claire QC
Is there any one who knows what is supposed to do with this rope, installed over my kitchen table.

I tried to found what is to be used .. ?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i think that rope is hooked to a counter weight that helps raising and lowering your table...much like the sash weights in you old house windows

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Agree and if the weight is actually not frozen in the compression post, you are one of the lucky ones.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Ropes are for sex, lines have a specific function on a sailing vessel. :dance: :stirthepot:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Translations :):):)

Kitchen = galley

Toilet = head

Bedroom = berth or cabin

Living room = saloon or salon

Windows = ports or portlights

Rope = line

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Ropes are for sex, lines have a specific function on a sailing vessel. :dance: :stirthepot:
Hmmm, that might be too much information, UncleDom.
But I'll bet your lines have proper whipping too.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Stu and the others, it's not my intention to start a useless discussion, but looking at the name of the OP and the area where he/she boats, I can tell you the person is a French Canadian and probably does not have a very good command of the English language, particularly when it comes to translating from regular to marine terms. Therefore the poster might not even be in a position to understand the humor posted looking at the question. The French call a cuisine (kitchen) a cuisine (kitchen) whether it's in a house, on a ship, or on a boat ! If you Google cuisine you get kitchen as a translation. Same goes for many other terms. We can laugh but more important can we help ?

Mar 5, 2014
Sorry my English is poor but my French are better !
In French we don't use rope or line we just use our body LOL
This line is not specified for sailing that's why I call rope
In French we use "une corde" even if for sailing or for attach
Cheers
André

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
...The French call a cuisine (kitchen) a cuisine (kitchen) whether it's in a house, on a ship, or on a boat ! If you Google cuisine you get kitchen as a translation. Same goes for many other terms. We can laugh but more important can we help ?
Claude, if I could get cuisine out of my galley, I'd be a happy skipper! :doh::doh::doh:

That post was meant as a tutorial? :D:D:D

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Claude, if I could get cuisine out of my galley, I'd be a happy skipper! :doh::doh::doh:

That post was meant as a tutorial? :D:D:D
Stu if you ever get cuisine out of your galley I'm coming to San Francisco ! :D To make matters even more interesting a cuisinière can be a lady cook or a stove. ;) As in "La cuisinière can cook great cuisine on the cuisinière in the cuisine". LOL (back of the tutorial book is the answer:dance:: The lady chef can cook great meals on the stove in the kitchen). Who said french was complicated :confused: ? Woodster & Rick probably have the answer for André.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Stu if you ever get cuisine out of your galley I'm coming to San Francisco ! :D To make matters even more interesting a cuisinière can be a lady cook or a stove. ;) As in "La cuisinière can cook great cuisine on the cuisinière in the cuisine". LOL (back of the tutorial book is the answer:dance:: The lady chef can cook great meals on the stove in the kitchen). Who said french was complicated :confused: ? Woodster & Rick probably have the answer for André.
lol my guess is he will never do that ....rumor has it he was trained at the cordon bleu continental breakfast chiefs college and all they have to do to pass the final is know that ... one part( oj concentrate) to 3 parts (water) and they are good to go:stirthepot:

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Agree and if the weight is actually not frozen in the compression post, you are one of the lucky ones.
Mine was frozen when I bought it, and stayed that way for 5 years. One night (after a few) I decided to give it my best shot at freeing the weight. Started with 1/2 a can of WD40 down the post, then after 30 minutes hit it with a heat gun and then a hammer (not really hard, but not just tapping) while pulling on "la corde". Alors il faisait que dix minutes et le poids etait libre.

Last edited:

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I'm guessing that is "In a few minutes it was free". Take pictures so I can see how it works.

All U Get
I think that's what I said too... Not making any promises on grammar. Anyway, it works very well now. I also put about an ounce of engine oil down the post after it was freed, and haven't had any problems for 3 years now. What u want pictures of?

Mar 5, 2014
I can't imagine when I post my question about "ma corde" over the table in my galley will have a lot of answer and many proposal of my correct language of sail
LOL
My line or rope are free but I imagine I can found the start of the line anywhere in my boat like under the post or over the ceiling
Where it goes ? It is attach into the post or at the bottom of the post or going where
I thought is to help to move up the table but I can't figure how
The only way I used to place the table up is my arm and not the line
So that's why I posted my question
And again I'm apologizing my English language :)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I think that's what I said too... Not making any promises on grammar. Anyway, it works very well now. I also put about an ounce of engine oil down the post after it was freed, and haven't had any problems for 3 years now. What u want pictures of?
A picture of how to use this line. Like the OP "hoastonge" I'm curious as to what the line helps you to do. Does it lift the salon table or allow you to drop it to make another berth.

All U Get

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
And again I'm apologizing my English language :)
man do not worry about you english language skills just do the best you can and you will learn more of the language by doing it as you go ....if they can put up with my uncontrolled grammar and misspelled words and my backward dialect ...they can handle your broken english ...the fact that you are asking questions is all anyone cares about ...at least you are trying ...most on here are glad to help anyone that is willing to help themselves