Rope Cutters

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ken You may find a cutter of value. Certainly a number of power yachts have installed them and find they serve the need. I have not seen them on Sail boats in the Pacific NW. I have used a power yacht as a path clearer through a crab pot field. He just ran at high speed in the navigation channel where a Crab Fishermen had decided to cast his pots. Like a Full back following a massive guard, he plowed through the line and I followed. Pot floats were floating away.

It might be better to fashion a guard that keeps line away from your prop.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I see them all the time on sail boats up here on Lake Champlain. I guess it depends upon where you sail. I personally have never had them on any of my boats. I was asking a guy up here about them and even though he had a fairly sofisiticated looking one on his prop, he said they only are moderately useful. No first hand knowledge though here.

dj

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We use Spurs. After a lot of research, I believe you get what you pay for in rope cutters. I'm not willing to take any chances with inexpensive rope cutters when damage to my shaft, strut, transmission bearings or mounts are the result of not spending those few extra bucks.
With spurs I power through the dark or trap infested waters with impunity. So far, 10 years, we most often only see them if they bob up astern, after the Spurs have done their job. I'm much more concerned that I might lose a fishing lure to a trap line than foul my running gear.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Good investment here on the Chesapeake crab pots everywhere and they work well.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have one and been fouled twice. Didn't work but to be fair it may have cut some I didn't know about.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a seraded edged cutter and I have cut a few lines on lobster pots that were submerged and impossible to avoid. I have a feathering prop and I don't want to risk damage. Of course I try to avoid pots, but often they are not visible. The only time I got a line tangled in my prop, it was a free piece of line that was not secured on either end. Since the line was not pulled tight against the cutter, it just wound up on the prop. I think these are worthwhile to have, especially if you cruise in areas where the pots are simply everywhere.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have wondered about such tools. I strive to keep an "eye on the water" and avoid the pots even when they seem to be everywhere they should not be (like in the middle of a navigational channel). Sure I have heard it at the bar... That is where the best crabs are and I have preemptive license to fish.

What costs are involved. Spurs says you should contact one of their dealers. All appear to be on the NE Coast of the US. What does it do to the narrow space available between the prop and the cutlass bearing on some boats.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I do Straits of Malacca passage every year. On 1 trip I got 3 entanglement between Malacca and Pulau Pisang by free ropes, free nets and heavy duty plastic bags! Unfortunately no lobster pots. If there is, we'll have lobsters for dinner.
So would barnacle growth lessen effectiveness of the cutter?

Ken Y

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Ken Y
I don't think it would. At least at anytime during the season my serrated cutter has not failed to cut. Except for the one free line that i picked up.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I do Straits of Malacca passage every year. On 1 trip I got 3 entanglement between Malacca and Pulau Pisang by free ropes, free nets and heavy duty plastic bags! Unfortunately no lobster pots. If there is, we'll have lobsters for dinner.

It the issue is a lobster pot, and you are motoring in a sailboat at moderate to higher RPM's, it's one thing. If you're trying to cut major lines or nets, I think that is another story. The razor types (which I wouldn't use in the waters that we sail in for a number of reasons) probably would work better -- but they aren't a panacea. If you end-up in larger diameter "gear" or a bunch of netting, you're going to have a problem. Your prop is only a little issue. You can't cut your way out if you're entangled with your rudder and keel.

P.S. -- If you do have a razor fitting, and you dive under the boat, watch out!