Rope Clutch Fitting

Oct 6, 2008
108
Hi All,

Im looking to rig our spinneaker better this year, by running the lines to the cockpit. what i need to know is would the vega coach roof be strong enough to take a twin rope clutch adjacent to the hatch. i would use one for the halyard and the other for the uphaul and have a preset downhaul so should'nt need to run that back to the cockpit.

any ideas or photos would be welcome

scott
vega 891
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Scott - look at the clutches and winches on my coachroof under photo
section "Mystic Rose" These are thru-bolted with backing washers and
are subject to considerable loads without any issues. Cheers, Trevor
V2915



________________________________

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of johnsons185
Sent: March 16, 2011 6:31 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] Rope Clutch Fitting





Hi All,

Im looking to rig our spinneaker better this year, by running the lines
to the cockpit. what i need to know is would the vega coach roof be
strong enough to take a twin rope clutch adjacent to the hatch. i would
use one for the halyard and the other for the uphaul and have a preset
downhaul so should'nt need to run that back to the cockpit.

any ideas or photos would be welcome

scott
vega 891
 
Feb 12, 2008
337
The previous owner of my boat installed a spinlock triple clutch on the coach roof for the
main halyard, boom vang and reef line. It's worked out great. No problems on the coach roof except for some slight deformation under the clutch where I think the foam core compressed a bit. He used starboard for a backing plate on the inside of the cabin roof.

I am going to add another winch and clutch on the port side to match for the spinnaker halyard and genoa halyard. When I install these, I am going to drill the mounting holes oversize, fill the holes with epoxy and then redrill to form "tubes" that will prevent the compression of the coach roof.

I have been going back on forth on how to back up the clutches/deck organizers/winches.
The starboard has worked fine, but I've been thinking about backing them with some 1/4" stainless plate that is tapped to receive the mounting screws, but getting everything to line up and fact that the coach roof is not flat may make me go to plan B.

My latest plan B is to make up some fiberglass or epoxy laminated backing plates with washers and nuts molded into them and formed to fit the coach roof. If I made the gel coat match the coach roof, they could look pretty inconspicuous. Unfortunately, this sounds like a lot of work and sailing season is almost here, so I'll probably go the starboard/stainless washers and acorn nut route..... -Tim
 

n6ric

.
Mar 19, 2010
208
Trevor,
I was wondering why you have the cluches and winches on wooden blocks. They look great, but is there a specific function that provides? Thanks,
Ric
s/v Blue Max
#2692
 
Oct 30, 2019
574
Trevor - Do you have a design for your mast bail? It looks more like a ring.
If not, could you possibly get some close up photos?

Thanks,
Jack
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Ric - I didn't do the work - but it appears they were set up on blocks
to raise them above the wood-covered coaming just forward of the main
hatch so the lines lead back fair without rubbing on the coaming. Trev

________________________________

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Ric
Sent: March 17, 2011 1:19 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Rope Clutch Fitting





Trevor,
I was wondering why you have the cluches and winches on wooden blocks.
They look great, but is there a specific function that provides? Thanks,
Ric
s/v Blue Max
#2692
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Sorry Mate - it came with the boat. It is not a ring. It only goes
around the aft 2/3 of the base of the mast. I wish I had a better
photo. Trevor



________________________________

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of j.hunter9999
Sent: March 17, 2011 7:19 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Rope Clutch Fitting





Trevor - Do you have a design for your mast bail? It looks more like a
ring. Did you happen to sketch anything up? Or, do you recall who might
have made it? Or, did it come with the boat?

Thanks,
Jack
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Jack - next time I'm up at the boat I will try to take some pics. It is fairly straightforward arrangement that any decent rigger could design for you. Trevor





From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of j.hunter9999
Sent: March 17, 2011 7:21 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Rope Clutch Fitting





Trevor - Do you have a design for your mast bail? It looks more like a ring.
If not, could you possibly get some close up photos?

Thanks,
Jack
 
Sep 24, 2008
346
The best solution is a plate mounted under the mast, angled up along the
edges with regularly spaced holes. This puts no undue force on the mast or
cabin top. They can be purchased from mast suppliers.
 
Sep 24, 2008
346
The best solution is a plate mounted under the mast, angled up along the
edges with regularly spaced holes. This puts no undue force on the mast or
cabin top. They can be purchased from mast suppliers.
 
Oct 6, 2008
108
Tim i like this idea i wonder if you drilled the hole larger as suggested then insterted a length of S/S pipe the thickness of the coach roof to take the weight from the roof, with the bolt running through the pipe.

regards

scott
 
Sep 24, 2008
346
It is stronger than a bale. Attaching them to the cabintop is a bad idea as
the forces can be large. The plate under the mast works well and the
halyards should not ever be slack enough to cause the block to fall on the
deck. The same goes for some other lines like the tackle on a solid vang.
Another solution is a stainless affair that is solidly attached to the mast
near the deck with a row of blocks installed in it. I have posted some pics
in a folder called Mast Base - block ideas in the group that show this.
 
Sep 24, 2008
346
In addition to the idea pics I posted I have just posted a pic of the base
of my mast - not a Vega - showing the arrangement for halyards. There are 2
exit blocks inset into the aft side of the mast near the deck and 2
externally mounted blocks, one each side. These were on the boat when I
purchased it and are original. A very strong arrangement and one of the
better ways to do this. The halyards will be replaced with new soon after I
add the clutches to the cabin top to replace the old stoppers that were
original.
 
Feb 12, 2008
337
You could probably do that. The epoxy method also supports the inside surfaces of the skins and bonds each skin to each other.
Here's a link that explains the technique a little better:Hardware Installation on DeckMy lines aft run either through a cheek block attached to the side of the mast near the base or through blocks attached to a plate with holes in it under the mast. It is easy to keep tension on the blocks so they don't hit the deck much. -Tim
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Jack --

Here is a photo of a very similar arrangement to the one on Mystic Rose.
The radial pattern avoids fouling between lines/blocks and the height of
bail keeps everything off the deck and allows lines to lead back without
chafing grooves in the forward edge of the doghouse. The strength of
this arrangement is more than adequate for the loads on a small boat
like the Vega. You also do not need to detach the blocks when laying
the mast down for the winter. Everything stays with the mast.


Trevor
 
Sep 24, 2008
346
The halyards are lying on the decks as there are no clutched mounted yet.
Too busy working on other boats to get to mine for now.
 
Oct 30, 2019
574
That's really interesting. I'm sure I could have something like that made locally. I guess I have my next little project.

Thanks for posting!