Rope centerboard line 222/192

Jun 22, 2016
Pearson 26 Chesapeake Bay
How often do you replace your centerboard pendant?

Every year?
5 years?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Honestly, whenever it breaks. We have a Starwind 223 as a trip boat around the country.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
First time I've had a CB in a larger boat.

Is there any reason you would not drop a few extra bucks for Dyneema DB? The other thing I'm thinking, is that if I chose polyester cover for grip, it would definitely get a Maxijacket coating on wear spots. OR is there a downside to very low stretch?

Jun 22, 2016
Pearson 26 Chesapeake Bay
Not sure if coatings would cause problems running free though the sheave on my boat. Others may not have sheaves to run through.

I don't see any reason not to uogradu to a more durable line. But it may give you an excuse to neglect cleaning out your trunk and keeping up on other maintenance.
This is my first centerboard boat too. I had a Siren 17 with a steel swing keel, but the winch, cable, and steel were pretty much bulletproof on that boat. With the exception of keeping the blade rust free.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
I have no idea how to get to my center-board pennant. The keel sits on the trailer. I've had my '84 O'Day 22-2 for 3 years now; and I'm getting questionable feelings about the pennant, since I also don't know how old it is. I thought about letting it down while in the water and replacing it there; But I have no idea what it looks like or what the connection consists of. Anybody have a picture? Else I'll go to a marina and have it replaced.

Sep 29, 2013
Oday O'Day 222, O'Day 19 Casco Bay, Falmouth, ME
rshuss,
Here are some photos of my pendant and clevis pin from a 222 that I'm restoring. The clevis pin is split/corroded, so it's probably original, as is the pendant. it's my understanding that some centerboards have a notch where the shackle attaches and some do not.
revnlGfyS2a8MpW28oanNQ.jpg
ZbFfw5luQKekttPZTIxzSA.jpg
ZbFfw5luQKekttPZTIxzSA.jpg

Sep 29, 2013
schuss,
I was able to send the last email with the photos of the centerboard pendant only because my boat is off the trailer which allows me to get at the centerboard. Once I replace the pendant and pin, I'll put the trailer back under the boat and finish up some topside issues.

May 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Dubuque, IA
I replaced mine this spring, only because I could not drop the centerboard due to zebra mussels jamming it and had to put it on a lift to scrape them out. It had probably been 10+ years since the last time I had it on a lift and replaced the pendant. I ordered the one from D&R Marine, but the shackle was too short - it may have worked if the centerboard had a notch, which mine does not. I reused the old shackle since I had no other option in the one day it was up. The line was worn almost through, so I may schedule another replacement in 8-10 years... Now that I have photos, I may find a new shackle and splice my own line next time.
Centerboard Zebra Mussels (3).jpg
Centerboard Zebra Mussels (6).jpg

Sep 29, 2015
OK, thanks guys! So it's not the flag I want to replace but the Pendant, Got it. The pictures are great. I was wondering if a thimble should or could be included between the Pendant and the Shackle? Thinking all that rubbing, of the Pendant, is not a good thing. Has anyone measured the length of the provided shackle? From the picture, it looks to be 4" long.

May 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Dubuque, IA
I asked about a thimble and Rudy said he's never put one in, so I just bought what he had. With the width of my shackle, the thimble would have to be quite large and probably not leave enough room to let the shackle pivot. I did not measure the original shackle, but if you need the measurement of the new one that came with the pendant that was too short, I could locate that and measure it and you could extrapolate the length from the photo...

Sep 29, 2015
Thanks for the offer to locate the shackle and measure. No need, since there seems to be more than one CB configuration; I'll wait till I see what mine looks like. I think it's time to get the CB out for inspection and maintenance. I have never seen it. The bottom was in good condition when I bought her; so I suspect that the CB is the same. I hope.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Russ, I visited with Craig Tourtellot, and we put my 192 up on stands, dropped the CB, cut the pendant at the CB, attached to new sourced from www.drmarine.com, and pulled it up from the cockpit. The same could be done in the water, but I suspect it's going to be getting chilly soon, what with it being 40º waking up this morning... If you wanted to do it in the water next year, I know people with SCUBA to make it easier to stay down there. If I were free diving on this job, it would probably take me 4 or 5 trips, I think...

Sep 29, 2013
I had found a simple beam arrangement on-line to facilitate taking the trailer out from under the 222 without moving the stands every 2 feet. It worked great and greatly simplified the process. The beam is made up of 2 10' 2X10's. The rolling stool in the lower left was a back saver for the centerboard and hull work I did as well. Pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. Can't have too much support when you're working underneath.

upload_2018-10-17_14-40-50.jpeg

Sep 29, 2015
I used Craig's lift for my Mariner and he said he wouldn't lift anything heaver than that. Maybe I'll talk to him to see if he has another arrangement.

Sep 29, 2015
I had found a simple beam arrangement on-line to facilitate taking the trailer out from under the 222 without moving the stands every 2 feet. It worked great and greatly simplified the process. The beam is made up of 2 10' 2X10's. The rolling stool in the lower left was a back saver for the centerboard and hull work I did as well. Pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. Can't have too much support when you're working underneath.

View attachment 157530
If I had those facilities, that looks it would work nicely! Is that a brilliant shine I see on the bottom? Wowzza.

Sep 29, 2013
Yes it is a shine. This boat had a thin coat of bottom paint and had been in fresh water for a couple of decades before I bought it. It was uneven and I didn't like the looks of it, so I stripped it off. I'm planning on trailering the boat for the next few summers along the Maine coast and it won't be in the water for more than a week at a time. With that, and a little buffing, I didn't want to cover over the shine.