Room for VHF wire under compression post

Jul 16, 2023
Catalina 310 Holland
I'm in the process of running a new coaxial cable for a masthead VHF antenna. The issue I'm running into is that the AC plumbing is blocking most of the space that's left in the tiny semicircle where the compression post meets the bulkhead. No matter what, I'll need to remove the hoses to run the coax...

I'm curious if anyone has dealt with this. The options I'm considering:

- Remove the hoses, run the wire, try to shove everything in (it would be VERY tight if it works).
- Drill a hole and add one more conduit through the bulkhead - I don't love this idea, and I'm also not 100% sure what sort of steel structure is inside the bulkhead
- Reduce the diameter of one of the AC hoses (I'm fairly certain the pressure side of the pump is oversized, given the very tiny outlet from the AC pump).

Open to other ideas too. Any advice?

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Just to be clear, your pictures show the stringer under the sole, rather than the bulkhead above the sole. I doubt that there is any steel in the stringer. It shouldn't be difficult to drill a new hole in the stringer and epoxy in a conduit, but I haven't attempted this. Perhaps someone on the forum has more info for you. Good luck!

Jul 16, 2023
Catalina 310 Holland
Great call @Tom J - you're right, it's the stringer below the bulkhead. I was assuming there was some amount of steel because there is a steel surround under the compression post where the wires emerge. I'll probably drill a pilot hole this week and see what I find. Thanks for your comment!

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
While I don't have the complication of AC hoses on my 310, I did have to replace the small size antenna wire with a larger size given that its connector in the bilge was so corroded that the vhf radio was almost useless. To ease the pulling strain and possible loss of the wire in the compression post I used copious amounts of dishwashing liquid to lubricate the wire while pulling it through and up. Did the same for running the wire through the mast conduit to the mast top. I have in mast reefing so choices are limited. I would "lubricate" the wire before drilling another hole or expanding this one. If you do drill or enlarge the hole cover the area with epoxy to seal it as it is just wood under all that fiberglass. It may take two people, one at the top of the compression post and another at the bottom feeding in the cable slowly. Take your time, do it once do it right.