Rollerfurling on OD25

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Palmer

My 1977 OD25 has a jib lead forward mounted to the deck with out a track and a track mounted lead aft by the cockpit for a Genoa. I was planning to install a track for the forward lead block for better sail adjustment but am also planning on adding a rollerfurler with probably a 130 or 135 genoa. How much do you use the forward lead block with a rollerfurler? When the sail is reefed to working jib size or smaller can you get by with the genoa lead or do you always change the lead to the forward block? Thanks for the info. Paul Palmer

D

Don Evans

Better Sheeting Angles

Paul, your surmise of better efficiency reeving the jib through the jib, deck block for the working jib is correct. In practise though, I rarely do this, preferring to stay in the cockpit, especially if I'm single handed. If it is blowing stink such that reefing the RF is necessary to say a 110 or less, I am less worried about efficiencies than just keeping the boat on her feet. Right or wrong I usually just use the genoa block on the cockpit coaming track. Don

P

Paul Mieszczenski

Use a "twing" line

Paul, I agree with Don about the shape not being as important as the reduced area, but you might want to try this. Run a short line through the block on the forward track and then up to the sheet. Tie a loop around the sheet (large enough for the sheet to run freely) and use this line to pull the sheet down toward the deck as the sail moves forward. It's adjustable from the cockpit and is a quick and easy way to shape the RF. Be sure to ease the "twing" line before you tack so as not to foul the sheet. PM

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Sheeting Angles

One of the advantages to using track mounted leads is the ability to depower the sail without the need to change its area by altering the angle of the sheet lead. On some racing boats (I'm all about racing today) the lead cars can be moved along the track with control lines from the cockpit. The more vertical the lead on the sail, the greater its draft (depth) will be when full; the more horizontal, the flatter the sail will become. Think about it as if it were an outhaul and sheet in one. When you reef your headsail, and leave the lead car still, you will cause the angle of the sheet to the sail to become more horizontal, and thus flatter, so the sail will develop less power under most conditions. This is usually exactly what I am attempting to accomplish when conditions warrant reefing. At the same time, you will be able to sheet the sail closer to the boat for windward work allowing the limited sail area to have greatest effect during lulls. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Status
Not open for further replies.