Roller furling

Sep 22, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Sag Harbor, NY
Hi,

New to Sailing and purchased my first sailboat towards the end of last year (Hunter 23.5). I’m in the process of finalising all the bit and pieces to put the boat in the water as soon as I can. I’ve reached the stage of putting my new jib on the roller furling track. I’m still learning all the terminology so please forgive me if I get something wrong or don’t understand.

I believe my furling system only has the drum and no top swivel. The track has a slider with a short line threw the “eye” of the slider. There’s also another line that is attached to the top of the slider that runs up and exits the track right at the top. I’m assuming the small line is to hitch the head of the jib to the slider. I’m not sure what the line is that runs up the track. Hoping someone can shed some light on these two lines (and the length of the “top” line as it’s broken)?

I’ll attach a photo to try and show what I have written.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for the reply Greg. I actually have a jib halyard that runs up and out the mast so that’s why I’m a little confused.

Jan 7, 2011
You could have both. But if it is a CDI furler, you don’t need the external halyard (or maybe it is for a spinnaker).

Greg

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for the help Greg! Will now need to pick up the correct line for the internal halyard

Sep 22, 2020
Mine is wire rope....but maybe the smaller sized ones use rope or cord.

Greg
Well I ran into a spot of bother with trying to straighten out the extrusion as it had some major kinks it it from being curled up for about 5 years. I had tried many different techniques but it just wasn’t straightening. This morning I tried a little too much and it snapped . I’ve ordered a replacement cdi furler as I had a 110% made for the extrusion. Hopefully the section where the tape slides into hasn’t changed much.

Before and after photos have been attached ‍

I’m just glad I’ve been able to do all the repairs, bottom painting etc myself so saving a little $$$ that way.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
My old (1980’s) CDI has an aluminum extrusion...it is in pieces and joined together. A little worse for the wear, but still works.I was reading about new Flexible Furlers from CDI having plastic extrusions...all one piece. My Tides Marine strong track came that way and I had no problem straightening it and sliding it up the mast.

Good luck...I hope you get her in the water soon.

Greg